Torus jump issue

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

OlderGamer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OlderGamer »

Hi,

I am as my name suggests, a very older gamer and this is and was an excellent game.

I have been playing it on and off on my PC for the last year+ and it WAS working great.

I was running the 1.65 version on XP SP2 with an Nvidia 8600 GT with no issues at all. Recently that card popped some caps and so I upgraded to a 9800 GT and oh dear, my version of Elite now has the very annoying problem of the text randomly remaining on the screen.

So, having done several searches on here, I found this thread and did as suggested, by upgrading to 1.74.2-test. This has solved the problem of the text and I see some new flashy changes (I especially like the planet rendering :D ) but...

- Lags for a couple of seconds after jumping.
- After jumping, I was mass locked by some Police (I was in Confederate State) and my Witch Drive Injectors wouldn't work, so I waited and once I was not mass locked anymore, Jumping wouldn't work either :cry: (I S-Esc at this point)

So, I guess it is back to 1.65 and wait until there is another non-test version that resolves the problems of the text.

Great game and great work.

Long Live Elite!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Firstly welcome to the board!

I would strongly recommend you stick with 1.74.2. v1.65 may be called the stable version, but the test release are also very stable (but still under improvement for new features, hence "test"). Plus there are many enhancements, improvements and OXPs which aren't in 1.65 - it's almost a totally different game.

For your issue - I would guess your injectors and jumping didn't work as you were out of fuel? Both need some juice in the tank to make them work ;) The torus drive (press J when not mass-locked) doesn't need fuel, and is an option when you're in free-space. And as a tip - if you want a little peace and quiet to get on with a journey, don't fly along the main route...

The lag after jumping is a little odd. I would guess as you've just updated from 1.65 that you don't have any OXPs installed? Some of them can sometimes cause some small delays whilst they populate the new system with entities and other scripting runs etc.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The torus jump works fine in all cases (as long as there is no mass-lock, of course), as far as I can see. This is actually the first time we get a report about it not being functional.

OlderGamer: One thing you may want to confirm is the zoom factor of the scanner. If you were zoomed in to 2x or 3x, it is very likely that there were no ships in the immediate vicinity, but something was further away and was simply not visible at that zoom level. The status light should remain yellow in such case and your torus would be blocked.

If you can somehow reproduce this, I would be interested to see the Latest.log file from that game.
OlderGamer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OlderGamer »

another_commander wrote:
The torus jump works fine in all cases (as long as there is no mass-lock, of course), as far as I can see. This is actually the first time we get a report about it not being functional.

OlderGamer: One thing you may want to confirm is the zoom factor of the scanner. If you were zoomed in to 2x or 3x, it is very likely that there were no ships in the immediate vicinity, but something was further away and was simply not visible at that zoom level. The status light should remain yellow in such case and your torus would be blocked.

If you can somehow reproduce this, I would be interested to see the Latest.log file from that game.
Hi,

Like I said, I have played this for a long time.. I have a commander that is Elite and out in Galaxy 3 on one of the 6(?) missions that you get given.

This is a new commander and I am still working on him as he only has 7 kills, his original ship (with almost all enhancements) and so I am fairly well versed in the gameplay.

I can say that I wasn't out of fuel as I am doing the 'Quick Trade' run, going backward and forward between Laenin and Xexedi (multiple trips from one fuel stop at the sun) until I can upgrade to a Python.

I jumped into Xexedi and headed down at about 30degrees below the horizontal trade route (I only use the straight run when I am loaded with Gems and Precious metals and have jumped to an Anarchy system for some fun! :twisted: ).
A second or two into it and about 4 Police Vipers appeared, so I headed straight down to get under them.. plenty of fuel but witch drive wouldn't engage... waited them out and then tried the Torus drive before I adjusted my route again and that wouldn't work, which as you say, is not fuel specific and I wasn't mass locked as the icon was 'green' below the Radar. I did try some other keys but none were working.

The lag could have been to do with the upgrade but I was too impatient to try it again so reverted back to 1.65.

There is a Log file (doesn't seem to tell me anything but I don't know what I am looking at I have to admit) from that time and since I only tried it the once, it must be the one and is new to 1.74. It is Stderr in 1.65?

Do you want me to post it all here (7kb) or is there some way to add it as an attachement?

Regards,
OG
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Code: Select all

Cut and paste the contents of the file inside some "code" tabs
and post on the thread
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
OlderGamer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OlderGamer »

DaddyHoggy wrote:

Cut and paste the contents of the file inside some "code" tabs
and post on the thread
err.. here goes

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.74.2 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2010-09-25 13:06:04 +0100.
2 processors detected.
Oolite options: procedural planet textures, docking clearance, wormhole scanner, target incoming missiles, spoken messages, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
[display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1680 x 1050
[dataCache.notFound]: No data cache found, starting from scratch.
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted Mode - Resources paths:
    Resources
    ../AddOns
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 3.2.0 ("3.2.0")
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce 9800 GT/PCI/SSE2
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (180):
GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_NV_texture_shader2, GL_NV_texture_shader3, GL_NV_gpu_program4, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_NV_texture_barrier, GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object, GL_NV_vertex_array_range, GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_NV_vertex_program2, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_NV_vertex_program3, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_NV_vertex_program1_1, GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_NV_vertex_buffer_unified_memory, GL_NV_copy_image, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_NV_fog_distance, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_sync, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_direct_state_access, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_EXT_provoking_vertex, GL_ARB_compatibility, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_SGIX_depth_texture, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage, GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_NV_texture_env_combine4, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_imaging, GL_NV_register_combiners, GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions, GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_bindable_uniform, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_NV_primitive_restart, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object, GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, GL_NV_multisample_coverage, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_NV_register_combiners2, GL_EXT_texture_integer, GL_EXT_gpu_shader4, GL_SUN_slice_accum, GL_EXT_texture_lod, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object, GL_NV_texture_shader, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_NV_transform_feedback, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_NV_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_ARB_geometry_shader4, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_EXT_draw_instanced, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_NV_fragment_program_option, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_NV_fence, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_ARB_texture_multisample, WGL_EXT_swap_control, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_NV_fragment_program2, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_NV_float_buffer, GL_EXT_timer_query, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_SGIX_shadow, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_NV_vertex_program2_option, GL_NV_vertex_array_range2, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, GL_EXT_geometry_shader4, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_NV_half_float, GL_NV_geometry_shader4, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_NV_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_EXT_Cg_shader, GL_NV_vertex_program, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc, GL_NV_explicit_multisample, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_NV_fragment_program, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object, GL_EXT_texture_array, GL_S3_s3tc, GL_NV_point_sprite, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc, GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_NV_texture_expand_normal, GL_ATI_texture_float, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_NV_shader_buffer_load
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
[rendering.opengl.shader.mode]: Shader mode set to SHADERS_FULL.
[shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 5 world scripts:
    oolite-cloaking-device 1.74.2
    oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-thargoid-plans 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
[loading.complete]: ========== Loading complete. ==========
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 5 world scripts:
    oolite-cloaking-device 1.74.2
    oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.74.2
    oolite-nova 1.74.2
    oolite-thargoid-plans 1.74.2
    oolite-trumbles 1.74.2
[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2010-09-25 13:18:15 +0100.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

OlderGamer wrote:
I did try some other keys but none were working.
This seems quite unusual. Are you saying that all keys that you tried after injectors and torus jump had stopped responding, i.e. game control was lost?

Can you please post the save file you used when you encountered this?
OlderGamer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OlderGamer »

another_commander wrote:
OlderGamer wrote:
This seems quite unusual. Are you saying that all keys that you tried after injectors and torus jump had stopped responding, i.e. game control was lost?

To be honest, I cannot remember which controls I tried that also didn't work as I was not really in 'QA' mode and I didn't try Functions like the map (F6) and curent Status (F5) butbe Nav controls like 'I', 'J', '\', etc didn't work. As it was going to be a long haul from the Nav Beacon to the Station at crusing speed, I quit via Shift-Esc.

As for the save file, I reinstalled 1.65 and I have been playing for the last 3hrs on and off (he is mostly harmless now and I might be in my Python after the next Ship maintenance :D ) so I don't have it, sorry.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Although I dont know how it happened, I think it may have been that oolite thought you were on a screen (short range chart or something) and so had the wrong keys setup. When the screen is changed, oolite changes the actions of the keys, and it is possible that somehow oolite got its internal state messed up.

I have only seen it when I made a change, and forgot to add the code for screen change notification, but it is possible that there are other conditions that you came across.
OlderGamer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OlderGamer »

I have reinstalled 1.74.2 in another Games partition on a different disk and copied the saves across to it.

Tomorrow I will play some on the 1.74 to see what happens and report it back here. I presume there are no registry complications and so I can still play the 1.65 from a different shortcut?

Regards
OG
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

There are no registry complications. Oolite doesnt write anything interesting to the registry at all. m pretty sure its just for the uninstaller.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

OlderGamer wrote:
another_commander wrote:
OlderGamer wrote:

To be honest, I cannot remember which controls I tried that also didn't work as I was not really in 'QA' mode and I didn't try Functions like the map (F6) and curent Status (F5) butbe Nav controls like 'I', 'J', '\', etc didn't work. As it was going to be a long haul from the Nav Beacon to the Station at crusing speed, I quit via Shift-Esc.
I know there is a very rare occurring bug with speed. That must been there for several versions. I just remembered because it happened today:

Speed drops to zero and "w", "i" nor "j" key do work. By pressing "j" the speed rose for a fraction of a second and than went down again. Same with the "w" key. In this case the problem solves itself by deliberately pressing the "s" key, even when speed is already zero. But this only affects the speed keys, not any other, so I don't know it its the same you experience.
OlderGamer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by OlderGamer »

Good evening.

Perhaps this should be a new thread now as the experience has nothing to do with disappearing text anymore?

I have had the opportunity to play for a few hours today, using version 1.74.2-test and I can give a much more precise observation of what is happening to me but I have no idea why and I cannot reproduce it at will.

When attempting to engage Torus Drive (J), nothing appears to happen. Usually I have had Torus Drive engaged and then been mass locked by an encountered ship or I am trying to leave the mass lock of the station (to get to the sun for refuelling) and I am at full speed in both instances.

On pressing J, nothing appears to happen, no gfx effect. At this point, Witch Drive (I) won't work either.. and that is because the Torus Drive IS active but is not immediately obvious. Pressing the J key flicks between active and not active but there is no visual difference, except that you do approach things (Planet, Sun, Station) at a noticably faster speed.

All other keys work as normal, all other effects are working as normal.

So, my appologies for the previous misleading posting of the effect.

Because I am in-space at the time, I cannot save the game, when I have reloaded the save immediately before the occurance, it hasn't happened again at the same place and time but has again later, elsewhere.

Regards
OG
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Split from the disappearing text thread and moved to Testing and Bug Reports.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi OlderGamer and welcome.

I wonder… occasionly, there are some patches of some systems that have no space dust, hence no sense of movement… they can come and go quite suddenly. Maybe that is what you are experiencing.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!