Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Commander McLane wrote:
JeffBTX wrote:
So the Enterprise might get crewed by CHICKEN PEOPLE at some point?!
:shock:
Well, when they will have exhausted all other ideas, they will HAVE TO do it in order to keep the franchise alive. :twisted:
OLD Franchise:

CPT Kirk: "Engineer, we need warp speed NOW!"
DR McCoy: "Jim, your pushin. Your people know their jobs."

NEW Franchise:

COL Sanders: "Engineer, we need chicken feed NOW!"
Comm Officer LT Uhuraer Ereraer Aher: "Cluck! Cluck! Plot complication! Cluck!"
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Your all so literal, your great. You take a ridiculous example and run with it. Do you know how rare that is, on the net? Fantastic.

The problem with reboot is you can reboot infinitely, 10 more years down the line, expect another re-reboot and back we all troll back to the beginning.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I like the film. I like the acting. I like the story (although sometimes I think they should rename the franchise Time Trek). I like the effects.

Yeah.

I think Abrams and co have done a very good job at reinventing the tired old franchise. They made a good plot choice to throw it all into an alternate universe thus allowing everything to be done from scratch. Yeah there were some problems, but it's FICTION and the fans just have to live with it. Hollywood will NEVER cater to the fans, they'll just do whatever they think will work to make them as much money as possible.

Anyone see those Orange adverts in some cinemas (Showcase) ? Where they take a concept for a film and turn it into a mobile advert? That's how the film industry works.

Anyway, Kirk was Kirk, Spock was Spock and I think a sound knowledge and fanship of the ORIGINAL series makes this film truly worth watching as you can see how the change in the timeline affects Kirk and Spock especially. How did Kirk's life change when his father died? What will happen to the Vulcans now that Vulcan is gone? How will the present-day Romulans (who no-one know are descended from the Vulcans yet) be affected, or will the Vulcans try for re-unification earlier? When exactly DID the timeline change in this new universe, since ship designs and other aspects were different even when Nero's ship appeared the first time!

It has a lot of potential. My main gripe is that this franchise now seems to be geared towards bringing in viewers from a younger generation and I worry that the older, die-hard fans might be left behind to sit in secret corners of the world and quietly watch TOS...
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I spotted this on rullmukforum, but i think it's from aintitcoolnews originally..
A while back, Michael Piller wrote a book about the making of STAR TREK INSURRECTION that was pretty much sunk by Paramount. Snippets and excerpts from Piller's tome have appeared online over the years, but the entirety of the piece has remained buried until now.

For those who don't recall Piller's name, he was a writer/producer on many shows - WIDLFIRE, THE DEAD ZONE series, STAR TREKs DEEP SPACE NINE and VOYAGER, and the writer/co-producer of INSURRECTION. As such, he was in a position to offer considerable fascinating and illustrative insight into how STAR TREK movies were grown in the Berman era, and how and why certain things went both right...and awry...on the production of INSURRECTION in particular.

The entirety of FADE IN: THE WRITING OF STAR TREK INSURRECTION is now availabe as a free download over at Trek Core, from whom we often seek TREK-related photos. You can find it HERE (note that this download - a .doc - may well auto-launch when you click the link).

I haven't had a chance to go through it in too much detail yet, but what I've seen suggests this is a wonderful work from a great talent. If you've any interest in Classic TREK or THE NEXT GENERATION, I'd strongly encourage you to check this out.
The link to the book is http://tinyurl.com/26xk76l and it does indeed auto launch as a .doc file

I've haven't seen this film i don't think, it's the one about secretly studying the people on planet isn't it?
Last edited by Griff on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Good find Griff - it doesn't auto-run in Firefox (not on my machine anyway - so I have downloaded).

Insurrection is indeed the "Who watches the watchers"-esque movie with non-ageing populace of a strange planet being shipped off so plastic-surgery-extremists can take the planet over.

I quite enjoyed it - and it was a well put together movie compared to the deeply sucky Generations and the would-have-been-a-half-baked-tv-episode-never-mind-a-full-film-Nemesis.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Ah, Insurrection - the biggest budget episode of TNG ever remade. ;-)

Good find though! I'll read that soon. I love hearing about the process behind making these films. Thanks!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Selezen wrote:
Ah, Insurrection - the biggest budget episode of TNG ever remade. ;-)

Good find though! I'll read that soon. I love hearing about the process behind making these films. Thanks!
See I think Nemesis was even more TV episode like (and a bad one at that) and probably cost more money.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Good find Griff - it doesn't auto-run in Firefox (not on my machine anyway - so I have downloaded).
You're lucky. It has been removed since.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

That's a shame, it's a really good insight into the man and his art.

I read about a third of it last night and thoroughly enjoyed what I've read so far.