Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

No way to reset wiki password

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

No way to reset wiki password

Post by mcarans »

I made a mistake of not changing the wiki password that was messaged to me when I first got a wiki account. I made a bigger mistake of deleting that message.

I still have a cookie so can edit the wiki probably until that cookie expires. I cannot change the password in preferences, because you have to type in the old password.

There is no password reset facility available in the wiki that emails a new password to you. I tried messaging Selezen - as moderator, he does not have the rights. I emailed Ahruman in the hope he might still have the message he sent me in his sent items, but unfortunately he deleted it. Apparently only Winston can do something, but so far, I can see that he has read my message, but I have no response.

While I accept that it is my fault for not being more careful, I think this huge difficulty in getting something basic like this sorted out will discourage people from editing and updating the wiki. Does anyone have any idea what I can do or is the only solution in the absence of a reply from Winston to request a new account with a different username?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

As answered in the other thread: delete old account, create a new one. Both Selezen & Ahruman can do that.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Kaks wrote:
As answered in the other thread: delete old account, create a new one. Both Selezen & Ahruman can do that.
Thanks. I have asked Selezen.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Kaks wrote:
An admin can only delete users if the appropriate extension has been installed, as far as I'm aware.

Is there something I'm missing on the wiki?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Selezen wrote:
Kaks wrote:
An admin can only delete users if the appropriate extension has been installed, as far as I'm aware.

Is there something I'm missing on the wiki?
I think you should be able to delete users. Try either looking on the User List page or on the list of Special Pages?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmm, I seem I spoke too soon. But as it says there you should be able to at least rename the old user account to something convenient, either using the included renaming plugin, or with the manual method mentioned here. Sorry about my misguiding comments, I thought deleting was possible with the standard installation... :oops:
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

That's what I thought. Soz, mcarans, for the moment you'll need to create a new account. And DON'T FORGET THE PASSWORD!!

If the server owner (WWIIIIIINNNSSSTTOOOONNN!!) can install this extension then we can reset passwords. Alternatively, this one will allow user deletion.

Either will help. :-)
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

I've messaged Winston to ask him to install these extensions. Let's see if he responds.

If he's really not interested in administering the wiki anymore, in the long term, the unthinkable might need to be considered - finding or creating a new Mediawiki host.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

mcarans wrote:
winston wrote:
Hi,

It's probably better if I just give them ssh access to the machine so they can poke it too. I've not had time for any of my projects for the last couple of weeks...

Cheers.
Hi Winston,

Ok please do that. I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike
Good news above.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

winston wrote:
Hi,

For SSH access there's rather a lot of work to be done, the wiki needs to be moved back to its proper server etc.

Your password incidentally has been reset to the one you requested. Sorry for the delay. Toomanyprojectitus.
So I can log into the wiki again. :)

But as for getting wiki extensions, this will take a while as "the wiki needs to be moved back to its proper server etc."