Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Test Pilots Wanted

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Fantastic little ship you have here!

Ive put her through the 'ringer' so to say, with multiple combat, trading, and various other ne'er do well activities. The various views as mentioned kinda threw me off. I honestly didn't see much of a difference from the standard views. Although the scoop and gun views seem pretty handy.

The ships' other features are hit or miss with me. The.. turret... thingie.. feature is amazingly useful, whereas the new... ecm... metal hardner... thing.. wasn't as effective as I thought it would be. (good for game balance tho.)

One thing I didn't like, was the segmented cargo bays. I just don't see a point, while its cool, and a very sexy feature, actual implementation is a bit tiring in my mind.

Havn't tried the latest version, and will have to dive into that after work.

Thanks for the opportunity to test! And, awesome work on putting the ship together!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OneoftheLost wrote:
Fantastic little ship you have here!

:D
OneoftheLost wrote:
Ive put her through the 'ringer' so to say, with multiple combat, trading, and various other ne'er do well activities. The various views as mentioned kinda threw me off. I honestly didn't see much of a difference from the standard views. Although the scoop and gun views seem pretty handy.
I'm pondering pulling the cargo view out. It isn't too far different to the rear view - as I said before it's more that such a ship would have something like that rather than it being a necessity.

I did ponder having a "remote camera" positioned at the edge of the scanner range to view what's coming up. Problem there though is that you also get your laser there too (which wouldn't really work at a 25km range), and if you disable it for one forward-facing view it seems to do so for all of them. Hence that one came out again.

OneoftheLost wrote:
The ships' other features are hit or miss with me. The.. turret... thingie.. feature is amazingly useful, whereas the new... ecm... metal hardner... thing.. wasn't as effective as I thought it would be. (good for game balance tho.)
Deliberately so. It is intentionally not a complete foolproof missile defense (if you want one of those, hack yourself in a MASC'M). In this case (as with one or two of my other OXPs in the same area) it's logical that some automation for fast-reacting defense would be in place, but not so much that it takes the whole of the "fun" out of playing the game at all.
OneoftheLost wrote:
One thing I didn't like, was the segmented cargo bays. I just don't see a point, while its cool, and a very sexy feature, actual implementation is a bit tiring in my mind.
A 150t cargo bay in a ship that size wouldn't make sense (turning a blind eye to the Anaconda and it's famous typo), so it's a little handwavium. Plus it was a little fun to see if the scripting would work. I had two ideas when writing Hyper Cargo on how to implement the idea - this is the unused other one. Well you know what they say, waste not want not...

The implementation isn't ideal I agree (for both the cargo and missile bays), but the best that can be done in the current game framework. It was easy to add the new equipment item to switch the missile bays from the equipment screen, but unfortunately not so for the cargo one.

OneoftheLost wrote:
Havn't tried the latest version, and will have to dive into that after work.

Thanks for the opportunity to test! And, awesome work on putting the ship together!
You're welcome ;) As I hadn't done a player ship for a while, I thought it about time for a new one.