Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[RELEASE] New OXP List

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Smivs wrote:
It might be a useful feature to include an indicator of download size, but as been pointed out this information is usually offered at the time of downloading.
The main benefit of including this info in the table is to, in some cases, avoid people wasting a little bit of time going to a download site and only then finding the OXP is 'too big'.
Another way of handling this would be to add the download size just after the link in the summary column. I have added the download size to my 'Accessories' OXP on the table as a demo. What do you think?
Actually, people have to go to the OXP detail page first before they get to the download link (exceptions apply). Many authors already list the download size next to the actual link. I can't see why this is not sufficient.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

maik wrote:
Actually, people have to go to the OXP detail page first before they get to the download link (exceptions apply). Many authors already list the download size next to the actual link. I can't see why this is not sufficient.
I would agree with this.
Let's try it this way - could those who feel strongly that download size on the OXP's web/wiki page is insufficient please say something?

If there is no response, I suggest we remove the "large download" icon (|big=y) in RC3.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Yes. Let's give it a few days though.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Fellow commanders,

release candidate 3 is now available on the Wiki.

Changes to RC2 are fairly minor:
  • We optimized the rendering across browsers and OSs using browsershots.org. The result is that the description column works best for entries of up to 140 characters in length (again, based on english language distribution of characters).
  • We made The "C" column as narrow as possible to save horizontal space.
  • We removed the indicator for large downloads from the overview table. It seems to be enough to have this information in the OXP detail page.
We expect that this RC3 will be the final one and propose to release it from its Sandbox confines on Friday, October 1st. There are two options for that, please state your preference:
  1. include the table on the OXP main page, replacing the links to the A-Z pages.
  2. replace the links to the A-Z pages with a link to a new OXP overview page containing only the table on the main OXP page
Since we used OXP category names that are different from the current tables, the next steps are to
  1. create category pages for the new ones
  2. go through all the individual OXP pages and update their categorization according to the new OXP table
  3. mark the old category pages and A-Z OXP lists as deprecated
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

I went ahead and created a test page where I included the OXP overview table from the Sandbox into a copy of the existing OXP page to demonstrate option a) from my post above. One click less to get from the Wiki home page to the list of OXPs.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The sorting/re-ordering buttons seem to be broken in the new page.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

Thargoid wrote:
The sorting/re-ordering buttons seem to be broken in the new page.
Thanks for the report. It was due to the category list at the bottom which was spanning 5 columns. I just moved it to a separate table so everything should work now. :oops:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Good work, Maik. It's worth mentioning that at the moment, because of the new Catagory titles, these are not linking to any existing page, but this job is in the pipeline.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

This is just a quick post to bring this thread back to the top.
We do need your votes, folks, if we're going to do what you want. So far only seven votes have been cast, so do your democratic duty!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Smivs wrote:
This is just a quick post to bring this thread back to the top.
We do need your votes, folks, if we're going to do what you want. So far only seven votes have been cast, so do your democratic duty!
If the table is directly on the main OXP page, I suggest moving the majority of the info currently on that page down below the table or even to another page, except for any particularly important bits.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I favour it as a link on the Wiki page (presumably where it says ‘Index of OXPs’). It seems that being an admin has removed my right to vote in polls (unless I’ve already voted and forgotten about it)… I feel somewhat disenfranchised.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

El Viejo wrote:
I favour it as a link on the Wiki page (presumably where it says ‘Index of OXPs’). It seems that being an admin has removed my right to vote in polls (unless I’ve already voted and forgotten about it)… I feel somewhat disenfranchised.
I had the same thing, I can't remember voting but as I can't vote I assume that I have done - is there any way of seeing who has voted?
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Nope. I haven't voted yet, and wasn't offered the opportunity to do so either.

I'd go for the link from the existing page too! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I can see that this poll was set to run for 4 days. Maybe it just expired? I can try extending it if needed, but I have not done anything like this before and am not sure if it would work or not.

Edit: Poll duration set to 7 days. Voting can now continue.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thanks a_c... at least it wasn't my memory playing tricks again.

If it goes on the main oxp page, then it should be below all the other stuff, as it appears to be on the test page.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!