Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Heat rays

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Illuminaughty
Average
Average

Heat rays

Post by Illuminaughty »

I apologize if it's been done and I missed it.

I think it would be really cool to have a gun to shoot baddies with that would crank up their laser temp, and eventually cabin temp, instead of shields and energy banks.

Something that would disable lasers pretty quickly, but take forever to blow up a ship from too much heat.
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

I have to ask... why?

Is this purely just for fun or does it add some new dimension of combat to the game? You sound like a cat that wants to play with a mouse before actually killing it. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I just prefer dogs.
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
Illuminaughty
Average
Average

Post by Illuminaughty »

It's just a different combat edge. Mount one aft, overheat a black monk gunship's laser, then turn around and blast him kind of thingie. I've never survived a fair fight (no energy bomb) with the black monks so... something new to try.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

I'm with you on the black monks thing, but I have just gone and edited the OXP itself.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

You're not supposed to survive a fight with the Black Monks. That's the whole point of it.
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

I don't have that OXP so I can't comment, but probably a good idea to mention it if you have a specific usage in mind.
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Commander McLane wrote:
You're not supposed to survive a fight with the Black Monks. That's the whole point of it.
That's what they said about the Kobayashi Maru. But even without changing the rules; their ai ain't too bright I can get one of those gruesome SOB's to slam into a station no problem at all.

It's like anything if someone wants to design it sweet. If you don't want it don't add it into your world, no harm no fowl.

That said if someone really wants something then code it yourself. Knowledge will set you free.