Anyone used the escape capsule lately?[Fixed]

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Anyone used the escape capsule lately?[Fixed]

Post by Cody »

Am I imagining it… when you eject, should you get a brief view of your ship sailing away, before the docking sequence kicks-in? I’ve just ejected several times, and it goes straight to the station docking sequence… no last view of my ship.

1.74.2 on Win XP

Can someone please tell me if this is the case… or not.
Last edited by Cody on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Just made me realize: I've never used it in Oolite. Didn't the escape capsule in Elite actually travel to the station and was in danger of being shot as well? Does memory serve me right or is this just what my imagination made of it?
Cody

Post by Cody »

There’s me, trying to remember something from only a few weeks ago…
... now you’ve got me trying to remember something from twenty-five years ago.

<walks around the room, mumbling and rubbing his forehead>
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I'm not sure whether I have ever used an escape capsule in Elite, but I'd rather think you would not have made an excrutiatingly long journey before docking.

However, I know for sure that in previous versions of Oolite you used to get a view of your ship flying away from your viewpoint, complete with sparks if it was damaged enough to throw them. That lasted for a couple of seconds before the docking rings kicked in. If this isn't the case anymore in 1.74.2, something must have changed. Perhaps in that case one of the coders could shed some light on the matter?
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

In Elite I believe you did get to see a view of your ship before then automatically docking at the nearest space station. I don't remember using the escape capsule in prior versions of Oolite and I haven't used it lately either.

The big question is: what happens if your escape capsule gets fuel scooped and you're sold into slavery... does that open up a whole new sub-game? :)
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

maik wrote:
Just made me realize: I've never used it in Oolite. Didn't the escape capsule in Elite actually travel to the station and was in danger of being shot as well? Does memory serve me right or is this just what my imagination made of it?
I know for certain that you are not in danger of getting shot and the trip is pretty instantaneous. But I don't remember precisely, if you see a view of the ship.

At last my meager fighting skills and propensity to run are good for something other than simple self preservation. :)
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Chrisfs wrote:
maik wrote:
I know for certain that you are not in danger of getting shot and the trip is pretty instantaneous. But I don't remember precisely, if you see a view of the ship.
Ok then... seemed more exciting in my head ;-)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

In Elite you used to see your Cobbie flying away for a couple of seconds and then you docked instantly with the main (and only) station. Much as others have described it above for earlier versions of Oolite too.

At least that's my memory of the Speccie version, and I think the Beeb too although I only played that a couple of times.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

YEAH, IT'S ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT, fkn caps, soz.
the BBC version used to show the Cobra as though you were curving back and up, Oolite kinda fires you straight backwards. the view you get of your ship depends on the eject position in Shipdata.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Good… now I know that my memory of watching from the escape capsule, as my previous ship, Clear Air Turbulence, dropped into the sun, is not a false memory... could someone please confirm that Oolite 1.74.2 no longer does this.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

For me, this behaviour of the pod is a bug. It is most likely a side effect of changes made in the code so that the time counting after a weapon has been fired resets when changing views.

Try this: Just before podding out, fire the lasers once. You will see that now you can see the sequence correctly. But if you fire lasers, count to 15, then pod out, the sequence is skipped. This is because the time allocated for the sequence is 10 seconds and this time counts from last time the main weapon was fired,

I don't think this is what it should be. The sequence must always be visible. I have an idea how to fix it, but I don't know if I can find the time to do it soon.
Cody

Post by Cody »

another_commander wrote:
Try this: Just before podding out, fire the lasers once. You will see that now you can see the sequence correctly. But if you fire lasers, count to 15, then pod out, the sequence is skipped. This is because the time allocated for the sequence is 10 seconds and this time counts from last time the main weapon was fired,
Thanks a_c... that works exactly as you predicted.
Next time I eject, I'll remember to fire first, eject second.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I found time. Fixed in r3748/3749.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thanks a_c… you guys amaze me, you really do!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Chrisfs wrote:
maik wrote:

At last my meager fighting skills and propensity to run are good for something other than simple self preservation. :)
You definitely saw your ship in the ZX Spectrum version. A nice vista of your Cobra floating away before you got 'teleported' to the station (presumably the sleep mode kicking in) and saw the docking tunnels.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter