Oolite review

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

the non-player centric thing is clever, but on the whole it doesn't really affect gameplay, i've found, to a startling degree. Sure it's fun to see far-off battles as NPCs mix it up, but on the whole, it doesn't really make a whole dramatic impact to the playing experience. in fact, in one case it's been extremely annoying for me : having NPCs destroy the Constrictor that i chased halfway across two galaxies, and then i somehow got the credit anyway ~ that totally derailed the immersive experience.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Where it does affect gameplay for me is when I see far off battles. Being a bounty and Thargoid hunter the laser light show tells me where the action is . :twisted:

On the other hand, I've been disappointed a number of times by NPCs killing my random hits target. Then again, such is life... But the point where it breaks immersion is that the game is planet system centric. Non-player centricity only takes us half-way, but all action is suspended (or rather ended) when you leave a system and restarts again when you enter. So my random hits target roams freely in his system until I arrive on scene and only then there is a chance that another NPC kills him.

While the non-player centricity is an important step towards a more immersive experience, the next step should be non-system centricity IMHO.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Nice review, not at all fanboy-ish - the praise is well deserved.

"No reports of Stellar Serpents" - lol
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Very nice - have 'facebooked' it! :)

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

snork wrote:
Nice review, not at all fanboy-ish - the praise is well deserved.

"No reports of Stellar Serpents" - lol
Hey, don't dis da serpents - they'll come get you :twisted: