Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Probably a stupid question....

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

slythytoav
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Probably a stupid question....

Post by slythytoav »

I downloaded Oolite a while ago and have thoroughly enjoyed it, especially with all the interesting OXPs for flavor. I've been lurking around the forum for a couple weeks and finally decided to come out and ask a fairly dumb question. :)

Is it possible to destroy the main system stations?

I've messed around with an OXP and made a fairly ridiculous missile to test this, but I was only able to get the station to spew out sparks. I can blow up minor stations like the Super Hub with one shot so I'm thinking that Oolite just doesn't like the main stations getting blown up. Am I right in this guess?
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

No, the main system station cannot be destroyed.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Probably a stupid question....

Post by Zieman »

slythytoav wrote:
... Oolite just doesn't like the main stations getting blown up. Am I right in this guess?
Yes, you're right here.

I also tested this some time ago, made a ship with 95 turrets pointing forward, 50 damage each, got same result.

After that I found the answer buried in the Wiki and/or these message boards, don't remember where exactly. The main station is indestructible by default.

EDIT: Ninja'd! :D
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Although system.mainStation.explode() is effective.

But that just causes the main station status to be transferred to another station in the system. The main station is dead, long live the main station!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I'm sure I saw the main station destroyed once under sustained Thargoid attack. This was on a Galactic Navy mission. I had the station locked in my Advanced Space Compass as the battle started, saw it explode, and the Compass could no longer find it.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The compass doesn't lock onto the station, but the beacon/buoy in front of it (the "N" one).

And that is infinitely destructable, or else half of the profits of GRS (and the buoyRepair OXP) would be gone...
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

slythytoav wrote:
I downloaded Oolite a while ago and have thoroughly enjoyed it, especially with all the interesting OXPs for flavor. I've been lurking around the forum for a couple weeks and finally decided to come out and ask a fairly dumb question. :)
*drum roll* Welcome to the friendliest board this site of Riedquat! *fireworks*
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Smivs wrote:
I'm sure I saw the main station destroyed once under sustained Thargoid attack. This was on a Galactic Navy mission. I had the station locked in my Advanced Space Compass as the battle started, saw it explode, and the Compass could no longer find it.
Thargoid wrote:
The compass doesn't lock onto the station, but the beacon/buoy in front of it (the "N" one).

And that is infinitely destructable, or else half of the profits of GRS (and the buoyRepair OXP) would be gone...
Yes, I'd forgotten that...Thargoid is right about the buoy/compass thing. :)
However the main station had definitely been destroyed...I'd actually seen it happen. After the battle I flew to the planet to double check and it was no-where to be found. I spent a lot of time flying around the planet looking, just like you have to if you don't have an ASC. It was not there anymore!
I ended up going to the sun to re-fuel, otherwise I would have been stuck there forever. :(
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

slythytoav wrote:
Is it possible to destroy the main system stations
Hello slythytoav,

I saw several answers passing but the correct one is :Yes/No.

With the standard weapons it is definitely not possible. But for a starter with Oolite I would advise to install AsteroidStorm.oxp. It contains a mission to save a main station. And when you fail, the main station is destroyed. The station even will even stay away for the failed commander when you deinstall asteroid storm.

So it definitely is possible to destroy the main station, just not by normal weapons available to the player.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Back in 1.65 and possibly earlier, it was possible to blow up the main station with a q-mine, provided you had a few ships around it when the bomb went off: Multiple cascade shockwaves would do the station in.

In recent versions it's not possible, the station would shrug off the attack - though you'd still be branded a fugitive for the failed attempt at terrorism. :twisted:
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
slythytoav
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by slythytoav »

Ah, thank you! I suppose I'll have to figure out a bit more about how OXPs work (instead of just copying another missile and increasing the weapon energy value a lot) to fulfill my dreams of interstellar terrorism. :P
X
Above Average
Above Average

Post by X »

I think a Killit OXP weapon would be able to destroy a main station.

Albiet along with everything else.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
Back in 1.65 and possibly earlier, it was possible to blow up the main station with a q-mine, provided you had a few ships around it when the bomb went off: Multiple cascade shockwaves would do the station in.

In recent versions it's not possible, the station would shrug off the attack - though you'd still be branded a fugitive for the failed attempt at terrorism. :twisted:
I think that the Q-mine cascade would affect the ships that are docked in the station, so that the station would be hit by Q-explosions from outside and inside, and would utterly destroy the station.

In light of the above, I think that main stations in the next version should be able to be destroyed!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

"In light of the above, I think that main stations in the next version should be able to be destroyed!"

Maybe so, but they should either be replaced slowly (possibly by another station type!) or respawn every time you revisit the system, because there's supposedly multiple stations around "busy" planets.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

It's indestructible due to fundamental code requirements. It was made indestructible to keep "weird things" from happening, and no, not the good / fun kind of weird things. At least, that is how I understand things as to why it is set up so.