Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Gamepads: Roll/Pitch/Yaw/Throttle settings

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Sydney2K
Competent
Competent

Gamepads: Roll/Pitch/Yaw/Throttle settings

Post by Sydney2K »

I was recently in Japan, where I bought a 16 button Buffalo gamepad- specifically for Oolite :D It was rather nice to find I could configure just about every button configurable.

I'm wondering though what would be the best way to configure the Roll, Pitch, Yaw and Throttle. Currently my settings are:

Roll/Pitch - Joystick 1
Yaw - Joystick 2 (left/right)
Throttle - Up/Down Joypad (< ^ >).

Would I be better off combining the Yaw and the Throttle into either Joystick 2 or the Joypad, and then using the other for view directions?

Also, how have you set out your other buttons?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I too use thumb stick one for roll/pitch and thumb stick two for yaw left/right, but I use one pair of the shoulder buttons for speed up/down (flappy paddle mindset from driving games I guess!)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

My setup is here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/XBox360_Controller

I use:

left stick:
left-right for roll
up-down for front view, rear view

right stick:
up, down, left, right for pitch and yaw

joypad:
up, down, left, right - mapped to arrow keys to allow navigating in menus etc. and also arrow up, down keys mapped to accelerate, decelerate, arrow left, right keys mapped to previous, next target.

Cheers,
Mike
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

I use my gamepad with 11 buttons pretty much like Daddy Hoggy. (12 buttons, but I am unable to use the left analogue stick as button without mis-stearing ^^ )

- stick 1 for roll and pitch
- stick 2 for yaw (and front view / rear view)
- right side upper shoulder button for +thrust, right side lower shoulder button for -thrust.

But mostly I think you can do it anyway you like and then get used to it - I reassigned the functions 2 times until I was happy and then of course each time had a hard time adapting to the new scheme. (like ECM-ing myself to death often :D )

The throttle, I want to be able to use it while I also steer my ship.
So I can't have it on the buttons I press with the right thumb that also controls yaw/ views.

Of course I would like to have such tiny extra wheel that sets thrust + and - , but well ....
(someone around here has that on their joystick.)