1.74.2 on iMac, explodes every time I leave a station.

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

1.74.2 on iMac, explodes every time I leave a station.

Post by Pangloss »

Video of my problem. What the hoosyfudgy?
"All is for the best in this best of all possible worlds..."
Dr.Pangloss, Voltaire's 'Candide'.

Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Just tried it again a few times. No change in the result... but every so often, I get a message from 'Swift' saying how much shit I'm in, and another message saying "he doesn't care". Then kaboom!

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Hello Pangloss, nice to see you back :D I'm sorry i can't help with your problem, but have you tried oolite with no oxp's installed at all? do you still get the insta-death then?
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Well, it's an OXP! I shall find the offending one by a process of clairvoyance. Or elimination. One or t'other!

And it's good to be back.

Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

You might want to go through your OXPs, and look to see if there's any 1.47.x compatible releases. Especially missions, equipment, and ones with complex scripting.

If you're using 1.47.x, that is.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Orbits...?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
You might want to go through your OXPs, and look to see if there's any 1.47.x compatible releases. Especially missions, equipment, and ones with complex scripting.

If you're using 1.47.x, that is.
1.47????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

About what happens immediately after you die, the change is intentional, and written in the changelog.
After pressing space, Oolite will load the latest save game (including autosaves) it's an older feature that got 'misplaced' in 1.71, and is now back, much to the appreciation of some long-time players.

About insta-death, no idea. At first I thought maybe those ships are actually too big for the new tunnel (another new feature: rectangular tunnel effect as standard when leaving stations, can be overridden, as with the hex tunnel used in the standard rock hermits) but I've just tested a falcon-s and I didn't have any problems launching from a coriolis...

I'm afraid you'll have to play the oxp elimination game. I seem to remember Thargoid wrote the fastest way to find out which oxp is causing problems, but I can't find it atm...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

You could also try to switch the ship for a test. Buy a cheap one and try to launch... It would also be interesting what the log says.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Pangloss wrote:
Just tried it again a few times. No change in the result... but every so often, I get a message from 'Swift' saying how much shit I'm in, and another message saying "he doesn't care". Then kaboom!
The Swift is one of Charlie's ships, and Charlie's OXPs are known to have issues. I would start with removing all of them and see whether the problem persists.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Kaks wrote:
I'm afraid you'll have to play the oxp elimination game. I seem to remember Thargoid wrote the fastest way to find out which oxp is causing problems, but I can't find it atm...
Remove half and retest. If you die again, remove a further half. At whatever point you don't die, re-add half of the last batch you removed.

Repeat until you can turn dying on and off by removing/adding back just one OXP, then that's your culprit. This does of course presume that there is a single OXP causing the problem, not an interaction between two or more.
Pangloss
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pangloss »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
Orbits...?
Orbits.oxp

I finally managed to leave Lave and pull up at the last minute. Now: I've never made a habit of dive-bombing into a planet's atmosphere so I've never noticed there are two translucent atmosphere levels. So I thought there was a planet around the planet in the split-second it took to explode and hear Private Hudson say "game over, man, game over".

But once I pulled up, I noticed my altitude was a thin red line. I had a bit of fun blasting the station and watching Vipers leave the station and impact on the surface of Lave. And it was fun looking at a station rotating just a few hundred meters above the surface of the planet like a ship on Independence Day.

So I removed orbits.oxp. Lave now looks like it does in Famous Planets (is that my pink planet creaton, PAGroove?) and the station is safely in high orbit.

Much better!

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

This indicates a bug in Orbits.oxp. It shouldn't move the station closer to the planet. And if it somehow makes the planet bigger, then the station should get a higher orbit as well.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
This indicates a bug in Orbits.oxp. It shouldn't move the station closer to the planet. And if it somehow makes the planet bigger, then the station should get a higher orbit as well.
Orbits is not moving the main planet, only other planets. But for some reason it adds all the planets initially on the sun-planet lane before moving them to their final position. For some planets this may result in overlapping with the main planet. And when there is a bug leading to not moving the planet away the planet could stay on its original place.

It would be interesting if the crash goes away for Pangloss when opening the planetInfo.plist and changing all 7 occasions of

Code: Select all

position = "spu 0 0 0.x";
to

Code: Select all

position = "spu 0 0 x0";
(making the value for the initial addition 100 times bigger)
When it than fails to relocate the planets correctly, you should see them lining up behind the sun.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Do get the updated Orbits from the wiki, the older Orbits is indeed horribly broken in 1.74...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)