Where's my station? >:-(

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Where's my station? >:-(

Post by Killer Wolf »

game's fking me off at the mo. i've got a new station i'm testing. it all works good, i was genning one up on launch etc so i know all's working. i've just inserted a copy of the script i used for the NEst, to gen up on exit from WS using a PR number. Nowt's going on, in that the log says it's creating a station, but its letter is not coming up on the Space Compass. it's supposed to gen up at 90% of WPU, and there's no sign of it, ever. WTF's going on? if it's getting genned as per the script, why doesn't my compass see it and why isn't it where i want it? i'm also getting Nests genned up, and they show up fine on the compass.

<edit> right i changed
system.legacy_addShipsAt(this.role, this.count, "wpu", [0, 0, 0.99]);

to

system.legacy_addShipsAt(this.role, this.count, "wpu", [0, 0, 0.5]);

and it's genned up something i can spot on my compass, what's that all about then?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Legacy doesn't take the radii of the planet or sun into account. So you spawned your new station effectively 0.01 unit from the centre of the planet, which was probably still below it's surface ;) Hence station goes kaboom... :twisted:

If I remember correctly the nest is near the witchpoint, which of course has no solid body and so nothing to get in the way.

If you use the new system.addShips or addShipsToRoute (or whichever you want) you'll have less problems as they do take the radii into account.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

oh, heh. oops.

cheers Thargoid.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

And when you intended to add a station close to the planet use another coordinate system:

Code: Select all

system.legacy_addShipsAt(this.role, this.count, "pwp", [0, 0, 2]); 
This uses the planet radius as basis for distance. In this example 2 planet radii from the centre of the planet, what is also the distance used for main stations. Slightly better would be:

Code: Select all

system.legacy_addShipsAt(this.role, this.count, "pwp", [0.1, 0.2, 2]); 
This puts it a bit outwards from the main spacelane axis. (at the risk it will no longer at exact 2 radii distance) But you lower the chance to meet another station at the same spot from another oxp adding also one there.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Many thanks :-)