Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

New OXP wiki pages: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Smivs wrote:
mcarans wrote:
I thought of a solution - noone ever sorts by Brief Description, so why not merge the OXP name with the Brief Description? Then its up to the OXP author to decide how to use the "OXP Name and Description" column.

Any objections?
:shock: That might even work!
:o I reckon it could work rather well. Examples:
OXP Name and Description
Total Patrol makes police ships patrol between planet, witchpoint & sun
Deep Horizon - Gas Giant Skimming : Skim gas giants to refuel a ship or mine them for rare minerals

If noone comes up with a good reason not to do this, I will do it tomorrow.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Right I've done that now and I think it works pretty well 8)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yes, I like it. Having the catagory first is a good idea as well. Excellent job :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Smivs wrote:
Yes, I like it. Having the catagory first is a good idea as well. Excellent job :)
Thanks very much :)
tinker
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tinker »

I was intending to update the SIRF details as they are wrong, they point to an obsolete test version currently and I have released an update last month.

I have a lot of experience of editing wili's but I am totally lost with this one. I cannot edit the page that says oxp makers edit this page or the main wiki page for the old version. What I thought would be a simple case or cut and paste from the readme and updating the file link is not.

If this is going to be useful it must have global write access,I do not have the time to jump through all sorts of hoops to make an oxp that I made principally for myself available to others and I do not have the patience to wait forever for a reply from Winston for an access, which is what I think I may need do.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Ahruman or Selezen can grant you access. I too got no reply from Winston.

Does anyone know if it's possible to grant world write access to just the OXP pages? Is this a good idea (or put another way are the wiki pages backed up)?
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

wikipages can always be reverted to earlier versions, it is one of it's basic design features....
Dunno what provisions Winston has made for an eventual servercrash or any other events that would get the alioth server location of the wiki discontinued. A periodic backup of the whole by an active ooliteer might be a smart idea.
Riding the Rocket!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Well, as the server actually did crash in the not-too-recent past, and Winston had a replacement with a day-old backup running fairly quickly, I think we can safely assume that a backup exists. :wink:
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

For OXP authors who do not have a wiki account, please PM me details of any OXPs that need to be updated or are missing using the format:
|Category
|OXP Name and Brief Description
|Author
|Min Version of Oolite
|Max Version of Oolite