Missile weirdness

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Missile weirdness

Post by UK_Eliter »

I've encountered missiles of which all the following are true:

- they are labelled by my scanner targetting as 'missile';
- they are ECM resistant;
- they are not destroyed by my cloaking - rather they just pause until I've decloaked, then, sometimes, come after me again (!);
- when they do not come after me again, they take about a full round of mil. laser to destroy.

Weird! Anyone else seen this?

I am running 1.74.2, with lots of OXPs.

EDIT: ah, I may have had an old version of the military missile OXP installed. That might have been the cause . . I haven't tested yet.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

The older military missile's AI doesn't play nice with 1.74.x, and results in weird behavior.
Grab the updated version, and all should be well. :)

...Unless there's something odd going on with native and other oxp missiles, which so far I haven't seen.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

When you have a lot of different missiles installed, it might come handy if you also install the missile analyser. It makes it easy to react appropriately for that missile. And for some types it is better to just run away. (Using a cloak to beat a missile always feels as cheating to me)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Hehe - no need to wonder.

The Vector has some toys for NPCs, specially designed for commanders with pockets full of money and mucho much own toys - you'll have to keep your eyes open as it will make fights a bit more dangerous and players will have to find other strategies. Oh, and it will only affect well suited commanders.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

I do have the missile analyser. And I did recently install a new version of the vector OXP. So that might indeed be it . .
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Missile from Vector OXP

Post by UK_Eliter »

It would be good, I reckon, were the missile to have its own description in the missile analyser, if only 'unknown missile'. Also, and for realism, I think the player should be able to buy the missile (but, only, say, at renegade stations. .)
Last edited by UK_Eliter on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

In Oolite 1.73.n it was quite common that missiles got a wrong AI (interceptAI instead of the appropriate missileAI). That made them automatically immune to any counter measures. I am not sure, however, whether this bug persists in 1.74.n (haven't played enough with it).
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: Missile from Vector OXP

Post by Svengali »

UK_Eliter wrote:
Also, and for realism, I think the player should be able to buy the missile (but, only, say, at renegade stations. .)
Hehe - if you like to shoot yourself... As I've said, these missiles are there to make it a bit more dangerous for players who are using a lot of own toys. Players already have a full arsenal of missiles and helpers, so I think, there's no need to give them even more advantages.

Renaming is a good idea, and it will be in the next version. Additionally it will only be done for ships with standard roles (plus low chance) and their range will be scaled down a lot .-)