[Solved] Constore security sidewinder AI

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

[Solved] Constore security sidewinder AI

Post by Getafix »

Shooting a Constore (griff's all in one OXP published here) makes a sidewinder secutiry pop-out.
The thing is that the sidewinder just flies for some seconds and then stops.
Even shooting at it doesn't provoke any reaction.
The system used is Oolite 1.74.1 Linux 64bit.

PS: The Constore "antenna" doesn't have this blue light going up;
is it my drivers (nVidia 195.36.24 for Linux 64bit) which I re-installed some couple of days ago?
Last edited by Getafix on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Constore security sidewinder AI

Post by Eric Walch »

Getafix wrote:
Shooting a Constore (griff's all in one OXP published here) makes a sidewinder secutiry pop-out.
The thing is that the sidewinder just flies for some seconds and then stops.
Even shooting at it doesn't provoke any reaction.
The system used is Oolite 1.74.1 Linux 64bit.
Yes, this I noticed last week. I fixed it already. It was a casing issue with the AI so it only affected Lunux systems. Funny though as that bug must be around for a long time and you just report it in the weekend when I intended to upload the fix.
PS: The Constore "antenna" doesn't have this blue light going up;
is it my drivers (nVidia 195.36.24 for Linux 64bit) which I re-installed some couple of days ago?
A lot of texture are confused since 1.74. I think this will be also fixed in the updates by Griff. I have been testing it for some days, found a few bugs that should be fixed now and I upload version 4.1.4 later today.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Eric Walch wrote:
..Funny though as that bug must be around for a long time and you just report it in the weekend when I intended to upload the fix...
God I wished I had more time to actually play Oolite
and not just fooling around trying to detect strange behaviors. :oops:

This one came up last night, while "demoing" Oolite to a friend (IT guy, Spectrum Elite old-timer).
We shot a constore to provoke an attack.
Well, the security guard seemed to be on a strike! :lol:
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Speaking of shooting constores ... I notice it doesn't affect your legal standing (unless, presumably, a cop sees you doing it). Should this be altered, since it's a station?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Disembodied wrote:
Speaking of shooting constores ... I notice it doesn't affect your legal standing (unless, presumably, a cop sees you doing it). Should this be altered, since it's a station?
I don't think so as it is a civil station. In my opinion it should be done only when you have police ships as default defenders.
For the buoy repair station I choose to launch police ships from the planet surface with the station as destination and the attacker as target, when attacking the station. That way it stayed a civil station without police but with help from distant police. But that station it close to the planet, it will not work for the constore.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
But that station it close to the planet, it will not work for the constore.
In case of the constore the fastest way for police to arrive would be to call them in from the closest system. Then they would just pop up out of witchspace.

Scripting-wise, and because I am a pedant, one of the neighbouring systems could be specifically established as their origin, and their fuel should be reduced by the amount the jump took (at least for the first police ship; subsequent ships would use the wormhole of the first one). After the fight they could return to their home system.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Commander McLane wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
But that station it close to the planet, it will not work for the constore.
In case of the constore the fastest way for police to arrive would be to call them in from the closest system. Then they would just pop up out of witchspace.

Scripting-wise, and because I am a pedant, one of the neighbouring systems could be specifically established as their origin, and their fuel should be reduced by the amount the jump took (at least for the first police ship; subsequent ships would use the wormhole of the first one). After the fight they could return to their home system.
Lateral thinking...can't the Police leave the main station then witch-jump to the same system to 'pop-out' near the con-store?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Smivs wrote:
Lateral thinking...can't the Police leave the main station then witch-jump to the same system to 'pop-out' near the con-store?
Its a bi-lateral agreement between systems (Bi-systemal??): When in need they signal an adjacent system for help near the witchpoint. Help is fast and there is a station to refuel in place already.
I did not think as clear as McLane did :wink:
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

Security Sidewinder AI and flashing constore antenna fixed as of v4.1.4.

Thanx Eric. 8)
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Logic flaw guys...

Time Index - Event
0:00:00 - Constore is attacked by Pirate01 in System A.
0:00:01 - Constore sends out emergency assistance request
0:00:02 - Signal is recieved by the local system Main Station, and let's be humerous and say the signal is simultaneously recieved by the main station in the closest neighbor system at 2.4 LY away. The Neighbor system is supposed to respond.
0:00:03 - Neighbor Main Station launches first alert fighter.
0:00:18 - First Alert Fighter enters Hyperspace.
5:48:18 - First Alert Fighter exits hyperspace to find the Constore destroyed, the cargo scooped, the pirates LONG gone, the Constore bouy already replaced by the in-system GRS station, and the husk of the constore has now been turned into a methadone clinic.

'Launching from the planet or main station would be much faster than sending in pilots from another system. Maybe not in game-play, but in game terms definately.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Oopsie! :oops:

Well spotted that man, funny no-one else thought about it! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Erm, like I said, this isn't a problem if they can Hyperspace-in from their own system... :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

Smivs wrote:
Erm, like I said, this isn't a problem if they can Hyperspace-in from their own system... :D
Or just use Thargoid's Gates.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

caracal wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Which is a good idea in principle. But they don't exist in each system.

And hyperspacing within the own system, while it would indeed be instantly, isn't possible, methinks.
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

Commander McLane wrote:
caracal wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Which is a good idea in principle. But they don't exist in each system.
Nor do constores. I was thinking that a big company like MallWart or Sainsboory's could probably afford its own set of "security gates" if it wanted them.