Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Balance between Player and NPC ships.

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Should like ships have the same performance?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Yes, all like ships should have the same performance.
46%
No, leave things as they are.
46%
Bring them closer together, but keep the Player advantage.
8%

Total votes: 24

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Balance between Player and NPC ships.

Post by Smivs »

Reading this thread, it has become clear that all ships are not equal.
A Player Mk3 Cobra, for example is faster than a trader Mk3 Cobra, which in turn is faster than a pirate Mk3 Cobra. This is quite a common feature, and affects many of the Oolite ships.
I will shortly be releasing Version 2 of Smivs' ShipSet, and this might be a good opportunity to correct this imbalance, if that's what you want.
Hence this Poll.
Let me know what you think and what you'd like in terms of adjusting the performance of some NPCs to make them the same as Player ships. This only relates to the speed of the ship...equipment and options would remain unchanged.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Something like this would need to be extensively playtested – for weeks, if not more, by many different players – before it could be introduced. It's bound to have significant effects on gameplay.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Disembodied wrote:
Something like this would need to be extensively playtested – for weeks, if not more, by many different players – before it could be introduced. It's bound to have significant effects on gameplay.
You're probably right. :)
It'll be interesting to see how the poll goes, but I don't think I'll start messing with the new ShipSet now as It's only a few days away from release (blatant plug 8)) , but after that I may create an OXP presumably just consisting of an amended shipdata.plist for this purpose.
As you realise, it's very hard to judge what affect this sort of change may make to gameplay, but it will be interesting to find out.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I guess that aegidian chose the values for a reason to begin with. So I am with my friend-in-a-flask here. Any change would need extensive testing first.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I already made some changes in my OXP mod that do this...the NPC Cobra 3's speeds were raised to 0.32 or 0.35 LM.
docwild
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by docwild »

As with all AI, it doesn't take long to get used to them. I'm all for a mod which toughens them up a bit as long as it has a big warning on it for newbies.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Funny that "everyone" seems to want to boost the NPCs...

IMHO we should just pullt the player ship back in line.

If you look at any other core ships, they're just as slow or fast as players as NPCs.

So, I've toned down all player Cobra mk 3s, be it core game or OXP in my installation of Oolite. Because of several OXPs installed, I thought 0.30 would nerf it too much, I chose 0.32 for player Cobra mk 3.

Now it makes sense to switch from default ship to othe Cobra mk3 variants, which have less cargo space but more speed.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Likewise, I slowed my player Cobbie3 down.

Perhaps NPCs should have a small percentage range - illegally tuned engines (with a chance of failure) or detuned (because of lack of maintenance) which slightly affects top-speed.

But IMHO all ships of the same model should be the same speed - regardless of player or NPC. You could have variations of a model but any speed differences should be offset by something else, eg, cargo space or equipment compatibility.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

It would be fare to gradually increase the NPC's ships characteristics (reaching those of a real player),
using the player's kills as a parameter.

It is just an idea I had and I don't even know if that's possible. :?

EDIT: Give the poor newbie a chance!
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Pulling back the playership advantages to NPC levels sounds good to me.

I always assumed that pirates were slower due to lack of maintenance and traders like to keep flying 'in the green' to limit corrosion of the engine manifolds etc. even if those mechanisms are not actually real.
Riding the Rocket!
Dave McRoss
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dave McRoss »

I think you should leave the player a small advantage. Even in D&D the PC are above average. So, consider speed, roll, pitch, missiles an equivalent of strenght, dexterity, constitution and all will be clear.
My ship list:

Cobra MK 3 - Lepka
Dragon M - Smaug
Python - Boa Pitonato
Cobra MK 3 - Lepka II
Now in a Python ET Special - Shark Panzer

[G5] -= Deadly =- (3720 Kills)
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

edit : forget about this, now I see it all is discussed in-depth-est in the other topic and - once again - Disembodied expressing anything I feel about it. :D

Hm,

to me this seems that you thought mostly about combat.
Think too about being stuck behind a like-ship in the spacelane, not being able to use torusdrive. If the NPC ship has exactly the same speed, you'd be stuck for all the way.

And no, i do not like to use the outside-main-spacelane too often, it still feels somewhat cheat-ish or at least coward-ish to me. :lol:
And I already have to use it in those systems where the game slows down too much (in framerate).

So I am not sure I would want such change in the core game, but applicable as an OXP that does just that - sure, why not ? Noone is forced to use it, and you could easily(?) adapt-update it when players find problems with it.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

snork wrote:
edit : forget about this, now I see it all is discussed in-depth-est in the other topic and - once again - Disembodied expressing anything I feel about it. :D
Oh yes. Somebody already mentioned that there are some drawbacks in the starting-three-different-threads-in-order-to-discuss-the-same-thing-approach to bulletin boards. :wink: