Robot or man in a suit?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Robot or man in a suit?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I say man in a suit - but pretty cool anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XMHI8It ... ure=autofb
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Gnudoll
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Gnudoll »

Man in suit. You can even see the arm tubes. . .
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Sorry, I was being ironic - the Youtube comments are all about how the robot is pre-programmed to respond to colours or hats and that's how it chases people around - still it's one hell of a fancy dress costume! :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

pity it wasn't real, mighta gone all Mark13 on the crowd, that'd be a canny Youtube vid.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Well I for one, welcome our new robot overlords

I wonder if it's been made by the same company that made the Hamerstein robot that was in the Sly Stallone Judge Dredd film
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

I want SCHEMATICS damn it!
http://www.cyberstein.co.uk/

gallery section. Looks like a one way plastic screen in the chest is where the operator sees out. I would say he's on chicken stilts, with a relatively low centre of gravity to stop it dropping forwards. Walking is possible but not for any great distance.

Built round a rigid jointed armature, probably a carbon fibre shell, shit loads of wiring, lights, speakers, low power OBP with a bit of bespoke software on it, movement sensors, (batteries too). You would need to be fairly strong to operate it.

http://www.robotx.co.uk/

got some sweep around shots. I would say most of the "guts" are kept in the upper back and the weight distributed through the armature to the hips (I notice the "robots" spine is solid). Any other way of doing it would probably snap the actor in two.

For all it's bulk it is probably quite fragile. Like learning to cavort about in porcelain plate mail armour.
Last edited by ClymAngus on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Concerning the question in the thread title I would like to consider a third option: perhaps it's a robot in a suit... :P
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

ClymAngus wrote:
I would say he's on chicken stilts, with a relatively low centre of gravity to stop it dropping forwards. Walking is possible but not for any great distance.
Err, stilts? You can see the back of the operator's legs & feet, covered in 'futuristic' black rubber.
ClymAngus wrote:
Built round a rigid jointed armature, probably a carbon fibre shell, shit loads of wiring, lights, speakers, low power OBP with a bit of bespoke software on it, movement sensors, (batteries too). You would need to be fairly strong to operate it.
Yeah, I agree about having to be strong, but we're talking light weight fibreglass costume here I reckon. It probably weighs more or less the same as a sesame street big bird costume, which was built out of heavier materials. About them movement sensors, that sounds like a bit of bs speak for 'the operator's face'.

I'm just saying! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)