[Solved] Joystick axis issues (with current workarounds)

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Liam LeFey
Harmless
Harmless

[Solved] Joystick axis issues (with current workarounds)

Post by Liam LeFey »

I thought I'd try fighting with Pitch/Yaw instead of Pitch/Roll, and got it to work, but found a number of bugs in the process. Here they are.

Issue 1:
Problem: When setting an action to an axis that is currently set, the old action gets 'stuck'. For instance, I have axis 1 set to roll, and I want to set it to yaw; I select it in the menu, then press stick left to tell it which axis to use. I leave the setup menu, and now axis 1 controls yaw, but my ship is constantly rolling left.
Theory: It seems that the last roll value the game got before unsetting the roll was frozen. (so it gets stuck thinking the joystick wants it to constantly roll left)
Workaround: Unset current action of axis before setting new one.

which brought me to
Issue 2:
Problem: When roll is not set, pitch does not work.
Theory: This took some minor hunting, and led me to the .GNUstepDefaults file. I figured it was being written wrong or getting corrupted, but the JoystickAxes section for normal (Roll/pitch) is

JoystickAxes = {
0 = {
isAxis = <*BY>;
stickAxBt = <*I0>;
stickNum = <*I0>;
};
1 = {
isAxis = <*BY>;
stickAxBt = <*I1>;
stickNum = <*I0>;
};
4 = {
isAxis = <*BY>;
stickAxBt = <*I2>;
stickNum = <*I0>;
};
};
And after I set it to Yaw/Pitch, (I expected it to be a bit hosed) it looks like:
JoystickAxes = {
1 = {
isAxis = <*BY>;
stickAxBt = <*I1>;
stickNum = <*I0>;
};
2 = {
isAxis = <*BY>;
stickAxBt = <*I0>;
stickNum = <*I0>;
};
4 = {
isAxis = <*BY>;
stickAxBt = <*I2>;
stickNum = <*I0>;
};
};

Okay, not too hard to figure out, *B boolean value, *I integer etc.

so main index is 0 -> roll, 1-> pitch, 2 -> yaw. (4 is speed, but that's not relevant here.)
and stickAxBt (axis index) is 0 -> left/right, 1 -> up/down.

It looks like it should work, (I was expecting the secont 1 = ... section to be missing/corrupted.)

Theory: Somehow the logic of reading the file is not reading the 1 = ... section if there is no 0 = ... section

Workaround: On a hunch I tried adding an invalid 0 = ... section:
JoystickAxes = {
0 = {
isAxis = <*BY>;
stickAxBt = <*I0>;
stickNum = <*I1>;
};
1 = {
isAxis = <*BY>;
stickAxBt = <*I1>;
stickNum = <*I0>;
};
2 = {
isAxis = <*BY>;
stickAxBt = <*I0>;
stickNum = <*I0>;
};
4 = {
isAxis = <*BY>;
stickAxBt = <*I2>;
stickNum = <*I0>;
};
};
Note that I put a 0 = ... section reading from joystick 1 (second joystick for those of you who don't know that computers count from 0). I don't have a second joystick, and was a bit worried it would just crash. But it fixed the problem.
Anduin Shadowmantle
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

A small tweak...

Post by Anduin Shadowmantle »

I had exactly the same problem with my joystick, a Logitech atk3. Worked fine, then I decided to change from roll to yaw... Aaaah! I updated drivers, tried to use Logitech’s profiler, pulled more of my tentacles out... until, halleluiah, I found your post!

I simply found my .GNUstepDefaults file, used notebook to read it. Found the joystick section and copied your 0 = section before the 1 = section. Saved it, opened oolite and by the slimiest Lavian tree grub, I was flying straight! Bobs you’re Diso, I thought! So off I hyperspaced when suddenly, after a quick tug on my joystick, I found myself rolling instead of yawing... :roll:

What the Reidiquat! I checked my joystick config and it had assigned roll to joystick 2... yet I did not have a joystick 2... and worse it had override joystick 1... It looked like my yawing days were over... I would just have to roll with it...

This was no time for cheap gags I thought! I reopened .GNUstepDefaults file and simply changed the stickNum value to -1... like so...

0 = {
isAxis = <*BY>;
stickAxBt = <*I0>;
stickNum = <*I-1>;
};

And it works! No stick is found.

What a load of trumbles over nothing...
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Welcome aboard, Anduin.

Glad you sorted it out, well done!
Bobs you’re Diso
lol, really. excellent one!
Anduin Shadowmantle
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Anduin Shadowmantle »

Not a complete solution though... Shouldn't it happen automatically when configuring your joystick?

Should have paid more attention in my advance computer programming classes back on Zaonce :roll:

Love this game... Oolite has made something amazing, amazingly more amazing!

(Sorry for the grammar, thats just how we talk from Zaonce... it is apparently a very tedious place...)
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Re: Joystick issues (with current workarounds)

Post by Getafix »

Both issues have been confirmed and
a proper solution is on its way.
Stay tuned! :)
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Re: Joystick issues (with current workarounds)

Post by Getafix »

Both issues should be properly addressed in r3751 (trunk & maintenance).
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]