newb question 1

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Kokoro Hart
Harmless
Harmless

newb question 1

Post by Kokoro Hart »

Is it possible to travel to another planet without the use of witchspace? There is a planet right outside my range and the only way to get to it is to jump to three other stations. I would do that and be done with it, but im stupid and like to discover the unknown XD
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Nope, witchspace all the way. Gates OXP does something simlar, but is not what you are seeking I think.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

I tried it and it does not seem to work. even if you spend long periods of time flying towards the system.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

ADCK wrote:
Nope, witchspace all the way. Gates OXP does something simlar, but is not what you are seeking I think.
Gates will only take you between the witchpoint and station of a single system.

No it's not possible to just "fly" between systems. You have to either use a witchspace jump or follow someone else through their wormhole, which amounts to the same thing just without spending fuel (albeit then you don't decide where you go).
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Chrisfs wrote:
I tried it and it does not seem to work. even if you spend long periods of time flying towards the system.
Even if it was possible, at the speed at which the Oolite ships fly, it would take decades to reach another star system.

Think about Generation ships, one of the fastest ships in the game (0.60 LY) and it takes them generations to travel between systems.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

" even if you spend long periods of time flying towards the system."

? :-/
how do you know which direcction it is??
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

@Kokoro Hart: The way Oolite works is that the system you are in is the only thing that exists. Other systems do not exist no matter now long you fly for you will never reach them. Only by "jumping" is the current system's objects removed and replaced with all the objects of the new system. This how the ooniverse is simulated. Even mis-jumps, that leave you in interstellar space, are just the same OpenGL playing space with no planets, moons or sun and a bunch of thargoids added for your entertainment.

If you try to fly in any direction to see where you can go you would in fact hit the unstable regions first as you reach the limits of OpenGL single precision floating numbers and the game will become unplayable. This is not, on the scale of things, that far away either.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

PhantorGorth wrote:
If you try to fly in any direction to see where you can go you would in fact hit the unstable regions first as you reach the limits of OpenGL single precision floating numbers and the game will become unplayable. This is not, on the scale of things, that far away either.
That sounds intriguing! What happens? Story idea brewing...

Beyond the boundaries of the system...

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

drew wrote:
PhantorGorth wrote:
That sounds intriguing! What happens? Story idea brewing...
Currently all subentity positions are precisely calculated in fractions of cm. But for every decade that is added at the high end of a ships position, one has to be dropped at the low end. So at a certain distance you will see subentities jumping between two positions. :wink:
I never noticed this myself, and I think just flying away at jump speed for a few hours is still not enough to get far enough to see this, but eventually it will start happening.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

ADCK wrote:
Think about Generation ships, one of the fastest ships in the game (0.60 LY) and it takes them generations to travel between systems.
Actually it's more like 0.06 LY. They are (deliberately) among the slowest ships in the game. It would simply look ridiculous for such a large obect to move so fast.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Commander McLane wrote:
ADCK wrote:
Actually it's more like 0.06 LY. They are (deliberately) among the slowest ships in the game. It would simply look ridiculous for such a large obect to move so fast.
:oops: oops i misread max speed 60 as 600
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

helenk579 wrote:
I also think so.
First post? Let me be the first to say: Welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat!™ :D
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

JazHaz wrote:
helenk579 wrote:
I also think so.
First post? Let me be the first to say: Welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat!™ :D
Seconded. It's always good to see a new name here. Whatever you need to know, there'll be someone here who knows the answer (probably) and whatever you need to say, there'll be someone here to listen (probably) :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

helenk579 is a spambot. Please don't click on the link in its signature, unless you really want to fill your machine with spyware or whatever nastiness it's trying to peddle.