Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

You did copy all the textures etc. from an older version, as per the instructions?

I don't think it is a linux case sensitive issue, since I've never had to rename any textures - on this OXP at least.
RustiSwordz
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by RustiSwordz »

What instructions? Besides i tried an earlier version before this one and there were no textures there either, i thought each release had all the appropriate files included.

I did start using this OXP a little late is my first version was when this thread was already over 30 plus pages long!

i would have thought for simplicity sake especially for noobs like me it would be wise to include all the nessesary files. Thats just me though... :? :shock:

I will look around for an old link.
'It's big and round and needs a big round sounding word! G-R-O-U-N-D! That's it Ground! I wonder if it will be friends with me...'

Website www.richarddaborn.co.uk lots of sci-fi art.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Just check in the textures folder of the version you downloaded - if there is only one in there, then you have the Beta download - and an older version will be required to get the models and textures.

You are quite right about an OXP having everything that is needed, so I think when this version is out of beta, Eric will have a proper updated release.
RustiSwordz
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by RustiSwordz »

Sounds cool :) thanks!
'It's big and round and needs a big round sounding word! G-R-O-U-N-D! That's it Ground! I wonder if it will be friends with me...'

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Poro wrote:
You are quite right about an OXP having everything that is needed, so I think when this version is out of beta, Eric will have a proper updated release.
Its my planning to do a full release very soon. This build it yourself version is, deliberately, only available through my signature, not via the wiki that still points to the full version 1.3.5

I would have done a full release already but there are still some bugs popping up. For the player there has not much visibly changed, but as a large part of the code was fully rewritten, several errors were introduced at various places.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Okay, version 1.4 of Random Hits is now official released in the wiki.

A full package now with all the texture files, ready for use. (Actually, I uploaded it yesterday and just noticed it had already 15 downloads.)

Changes over the 1.3.6 release:

- Main script is now in Java Script
- Two new random missions around the bar
- Distance marker on the mark selection page
- Needs at least Oolite 1.74
- Rewrote several AIs for speedier overall performance.

Please post any bugs you find in this topic.

Future work:
- There are still two missions that have to be added. Little bear already started working on them and mailed me the general idea for those missions.
- As suggested, I will add an option to cancel a hit mission at a certain cost and status penalty.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Great! Looking forward to the new missions.
RustiSwordz
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by RustiSwordz »

Ivge been playing it already. Its pretty good!

ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

This oxp is seriously classic :)
Porksmuggler
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Porksmuggler »

I'm having the same bug mentioned earlier, no textures. It's version 1.4 on 1.74.1.

I tried a new install w/ just this OXP, same issue, I checked the textures folder, and they are there.
i5 750::ASUS P7P55D Pro::G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH::Samsung F3 500GB::Sapphire 4850X2::Corsair 650TX::Thermaltake Tsunami::Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus::LG 32LF11
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

I have just played the 1.4.1 and it all looks great but for one thing. I preferred the older way of choosing a mission. This time there is only three to choose from instead of many. For me this is a step backwards and they are all many jumps away. Whereas with the older one you could get a target in the system you were already in. But I still appreciate those who made it.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Porksmuggler wrote:
I'm having the same bug mentioned earlier, no textures. It's version 1.4 on 1.74.1.

I tried a new install w/ just this OXP, same issue, I checked the textures folder, and they are there.
Check your log file, maybe there in a message in their providing more detail?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

caracal wrote:
Three other changes I've noted since earlier versions (1.36 and 1.38 ):
  • 1) You no longer get the ringing-phone sound effect as soon as you start browsing the bulletin board. For me, this is a welcome change. I still hear it when I actually accept a hit.
    2) The order of the mini-menu has been swapped, so that "show the next hit" is now first, instead of the "accept" choice. My recollection is that this restores the order they were in back in the 1.72 days, and is a very welcome change.
    3) A less-welcome change: I see the same three hits without any variation. Well, sometimes the names change, but it's always the same ship, the same price, at the same system. In the olden days (way back in 2008 ) you'd see the same hit come back occasionally, but would more often see new hits at each difficulty level. More recently, with 1.36/1.38, they all seemed to be totally random; I don't recall seeing the same hit twice during a visit. Now, with 1.41, same three on each visit.
1: I think you remember wrong. I checked versions 1.1 and 1.3.6. Both explicit did set sound to none. When there was a ringing-phone, it was removed long ago.
2: Yes, the items are displayed in alphabetical order of the key-names (The player never sees those names). This was never documented on the wiki, but I notice Ahruman updated the page a few weeks back and added that info how you can influence the display order.
3: For me the old way felt always buggy because random numbers never worked correct on stations. A lot of the times you got the same mission. In my experience even most of the times. By making it just 3, I tried to make things consistent. (But, with little effort one could easy change it to 6 or 9 rotating pages)

And it seems that
1.4.0 had a bug that a mission was not correctly cancelled after a Galactic jump.
1.4.1 had a new bug were player titles became corrupted with a wrong string.

So, I just uploaded version 1.4.2 were both bugs are fixed.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Thanks Eric! Keep treading on those bugs.
Porksmuggler
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Porksmuggler »

Poro wrote:
Porksmuggler wrote:

Check your log file, maybe there in a message in their providing more detail?
I looked at the latest log file, I didn't see any errors, is there something specific I should look for?

I've tested the OXPs here individually with no issues except Random Hits
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=8180

I tried version 1.4.2, same results, the station and autominers have no textures, but the contract ships and even the hopper do have textures.

I also tested Your Ad Here! and noticed the same missing textures with that station. It seems to be just Griff's stations on those 2 OXPs, everything else is fine.
i5 750::ASUS P7P55D Pro::G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH::Samsung F3 500GB::Sapphire 4850X2::Corsair 650TX::Thermaltake Tsunami::Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus::LG 32LF11