Progress

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

One thing to be careful of is multiple calling. In the old system this.missionScreens() would only be called on this.shipDockedWithStation (ie once, at docking, as the shipDocked only fires once).

But in the new system the end of a mission screen is also a mission screen opportunity, so if you're not careful (use a flag or something) you can end up with a screen that opens again as soon as you close it. Your code above would be at risk of that.

Overall the new system works much better and more cleanly than the old, but you need to get your head around how it works first to avoid little pitfalls like that.

And yes to your docked question, at least in my understanding. That said it never hurts to be sure ;)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Yes. I hope. Ideally. :-)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The following methods and properties have a bug in 1.74 where they halt the script without any error message if they fail (instead of returning false or null as appropriate):
  • playerShip.awardEquipmentToCurrentPylon()
  • playerShip.engageAutopilotToStation()
  • ship.aftWeapon
  • ship.forwardWeapon
  • ship.portWeapon
  • ship.starboardWeapon
These are fixed for 1.74.1. There may well be others.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

In 1.74.0, scripts working with trumbles don’t work because there is no equipment entry for them. Fixing this exposed a secondary bug where awarding multiple trumbles didn’t work (instead of having a probability of working based on the number already present, as intended).

In 1.74.1, it will be possible to award trumbles if there are none “installed”, and to check for their presence with equipmentStatus(). Also, setEquipmentStatus() will not work for invulnerable items like trumbles and cargo bays.

In 1.75, it will also be possible to award multiple trumbles.
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

one point seven five! :shock:
you mean it can get better?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Yodeebe wrote:
one point seven five! :shock:
He means it will become "more stable" - I think Ahruman plans for 1.76 to be the actual-no-longer-mythical Stable Release. (apologies if this is not actually true Ahruman!)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Yodeebe wrote:
You ain’t seen nothin’ yet.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Ahruman wrote:
Yodeebe wrote:
Hmmmm, interesting choice of words. I suspect that there is an alpha or even early beta of MNSR (as opposed to the "actual-no-longer-mythical Stable Release") lurking in the depths of Ahrumans hard drive. :twisted:
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Gimi wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
Yodeebe wrote:
Hmmmm, interesting choice of words. I suspect that there is an alpha or even early beta of MNSR (as opposed to the "actual-no-longer-mythical Stable Release") lurking in the depths of Ahrumans hard drive. :twisted:
And backed up in several other places one would hope!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
And backed up in several other places one would hope!
My imagination does not allow for a scenario where Arhuman does not hold adequate backups of his development scenario. Such a thing is quite beyond my apprehension.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Gimi wrote:
My imagination does not allow for a scenario where Arhuman does not hold adequate backups of his development scenario. Such a thing is quite beyond my apprehension.
Hey, Ahruman might still be human, you know :wink:

Though I'm not sure there are that many topics we could find he doesn't sound as if he could do a PhD on off the cuff :lol:
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Gimi »

Lestradae wrote:
Hey, Ahruman might still be human, you know :wink:

Though I'm not sure there are that many topics we could find he doesn't sound as if he could do a PhD on off the cuff :lol:
He is a software developer. In my experience, 90% of them have learned from experience to keep adequate backups. 8% are perfectionists and keep backups because they have learned from other peoples experience, and finally, 2% are just plain stupid (maybe less then 2%). Arhuman does not fall within that last category.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Gimi wrote:
I suspect that there is an alpha or even early beta of MNSR (as opposed to the "actual-no-longer-mythical Stable Release") lurking in the depths of Ahrumans hard drive. :twisted:
Gimi wrote:
It is all stored in a Subversion revision control system hosted by berlios.de. Though their website doesn't actually say, I am sure that that gets backed up regularly.

And then there are all the mirrors of the Subversion repository on the dev's hard drives so that they can work on it.

That would be fairly safe then. :D
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Trunk/nightlies have a profiling tool to help track down bottlenecks both in JavaScript and the bits of Oolite that can be triggered from JavaScript. Starting a few minutes ago, I’m starting to roll out the advanced flavour of this tool, which provides detailed information about Oolite’s internal time usage (currently not in Windows).

The profiler is invoked from the JavaScript console as console.profile(function() { /* put your code here */ }); or :time /* put your code here */

In practical terms, you might want to try :time worldScripts["my-oxp-world-script"].someEventHandler(fakeParameters)

As of tonight’s nightly, the full profiler functionality works on Vector3D, Quaternion, System and Console methods (again, not under Windows) as well as some internal functions called by other methods.

Here’s an example of the profiler in use. I’ve cleaned it up a bit manually, since it doesn’t deal gracefully with those looooong Objective-C method names.

Code: Select all

> :time system.addShips('trader', 5, player.ship.position, 10000)
Total time: 37.459 ms
JavaScript: 0.03433 ms, native: 37.4247 ms
Counted towards limit: 0.0538281 ms, excluded: 37.4052 ms
Profiler overhead: 0.290558 ms
                                    NAME  COUNT    TOTAL     SELF  TOTAL%   SELF%  SELFMAX
      -[ShipEntity setUpFromDictionary:]      7    30.06    28.88    80.3    77.1    25.96
-[Universe generateSystemData:useCache:]     42     3.66     3.66     9.8     9.8     0.75
         -[Universe addShipAt:withRole:
                          withinRadius:]      5    37.30     2.90    99.6     7.7     0.64
  -[ShipEntity setUpShipFromDictionary:]      7    31.40     1.19    83.8     3.2     0.31
         -[ShipEntity setUpSubEntities:]      7     1.18     0.25     3.2     0.7     0.08
            -[Universe newShipWithRole:]      5    30.75     0.12    82.1     0.3     0.03
        -[ShipEntity setUpOneSubentity:]      2     0.93     0.06     2.5     0.2     0.04
                         VectorToJSValue      1     0.05     0.05     0.1     0.1     0.05
-[Universe
randomShipKeyForRoleRespectingConditions:]   20     0.05     0.05     0.1     0.1     0.01
                      JSDefineNSProperty     14     0.04     0.04     0.1     0.1     0.01
-[Universe newShipWithName:usePlayerProxy:]   7    31.48     0.04    84.0     0.1     0.01
                         JSGetNSProperty     21     0.03     0.03     0.1     0.1     0.00
   -[ShipEntity initWithKey:definition:]      7    31.42     0.02    83.9     0.1     0.01
 +[NSString stringWithJavaScriptString:]     22     0.02     0.02     0.1     0.1     0.00
                         AddShipsOrGroup      1    37.37     0.02    99.8     0.1     0.02
 -[Universe shipClassForShipDictionary:]      7     0.02     0.02     0.1     0.1     0.01
        -[Universe addShipsAt:withRole:
         quantity:withinRadius:asGroup:]      1    37.32     0.02    99.6     0.1     0.02
+[NSString stringOrNilWithJavaScriptValue:
                             inContext:]     22     0.04     0.02     0.1     0.0     0.00
                           ExtractString     35     0.01     0.01     0.0     0.0     0.00
                      JSArrayFromNSArray      1     0.01     0.01     0.0     0.0     0.01
   -[NSString javaScriptValueInContext:]      7     0.01     0.01     0.0     0.0     0.00
                       JSNewNSArrayValue      1     0.02     0.00     0.1     0.0     0.00
           -[Universe currentSystemData]      2     0.57     0.00     1.5     0.0     0.00
                          SystemAddShips      1    37.37     0.00    99.8     0.0     0.00
   VectorFromArgumentListNoErrorInternal      1     0.00     0.00     0.0     0.0     0.00
                      JSVectorWithVector      1     0.00     0.00     0.0     0.0     0.00
                       JSObjectGetVector      1     0.00     0.00     0.0     0.0     0.00
Well, that’s a bit scary. Fortunately, you don’t really care about the big table of gobbledegook most of the time. The most important bit for scripters is the lines at the top:

Total time: 37.459 ms
JavaScript: 0.03433 ms, native: 37.4247 ms
Counted towards limit: 0.0538281 ms, excluded: 37.4052 ms
Profiler overhead: 0.290558 ms
“Total time” is what it says: it took 37.4 milliseconds to run the command.

On the second line, “native” time is time accounted for by profiling-ready Oolite methods. “JavaScript” time is everything else. The goal is for all native time to be fully accounted for, so “JavaScript” time is stuff you’re responsible for, and “native” time is stuff we’re responsible for. (Exception: if you provide a function for Oolite to call, as with system.filteredEntities(), that function’s runtime will currently be counted as “native”.)

The third line divides the total time into “counted towards limit” and “excluded”. When the first number passes a certain threshold, your script will be unceremoniously halted. (At the moment, the threshold is 250 ms for most methods, and 2000 ms for loading time, setUp() and commands issued from the console. In the final release, the limits will be higher.) The point of this is to ensure that scripts stuck in an infinite loop or ridiculously long calculation can’t freeze the game.

For particularly slow native methods, like System.addShips(), the time limiter is paused. This paused time is listed as “excluded”. We could exclude all “native” time, but the overhead isn’t worth it for fast methods, so it’s done selectively. Part of the point of the profiler is to recognise native methods which should be excluded.

The last number, “Profiler overhead”, accounts for most (but not all) of the time overhead caused by the profiler itself. This time is excluded from the time limit and is part of the “excluded” statistic. It’s not possible to accurately account for the entire cost of the profiler, and it does add a small cost even when it’s not in use, so in the stable normal-user build it will be completely disabled.

The important bit
If the time limiter complains about one of your functions, and it doesn’t look like it should be slow, try the profiler. If the “native” time massively exceeds the “excluded” time, you’ve found something we need to exclude. Please report this, preferably including the entire profiler output as well as your code.
Important bit ends

So, back to the table of gobbledegook. This lists every profiling-enabled native function called by the script being profiled, directly or indirectly. The columns are:
  • NAME: guess.
  • COUNT: the number of times the function has been invoked.
  • TOTAL: the total time spent in invocations of this function, including subcalls, summed over all the invocations.
  • SELF: the time spent in this function, excluding subcalls, summed over all invocations. The list is sorted with the highest SELF values at the top.
  • TOTAL%: the TOTAL value expressed as a percentage of the overall “Total time”. These will often sum to more than 100 %, since subcalls are counted more than once.
  • SELF%: the SELF value expressed as a percentage of the overall “Total time”. These will always sum to less than 100 %, at least before rounding, since they don’t include JavaScript time.
  • SELFMAX: the longest amount of time spent in a single invocation.
The distinction between TOTAL and SELF is best illustrated with some code:

function outer()
{
    /* Do something that takes 10 ms here */
    function inner()
    {
        /* Do something that takes 20 ms here */
    }

// Call inner() twice:
    inner();
    inner();
}

NAME  COUNT    TOTAL     SELF  TOTAL%   SELF%  SELFMAX 
inner      1       40       40    80.0    80.0       20
outer      1       50       10   100.0    20.0       10
Looking at the sample code above, we can see:
  • 99.8 % of the time is spent within SystemAddShips, which (probably not very surprisingly) implements system.addShips(). However, it’s near the bottom of the list with 0.0 % SELF time, because most of its work is done in subroutines.
  • 83.8 % of the total runtime is spent in seven calls -[ShipEntity setUpShipFromDictionary:] and its subroutines, including the confusingly named -[ShipEntity setUpFromDictionary:], which do most of the work of creating a new ship. (There are seven calls because two normal subenitites were set up, as seen by the two invocations of -[ShipEntity setUpOneSubentity:].)
  • 10 % of time is spent in 42 calls to -[Universe generateSystemData:useCache:]. This was a surprise to me; it turns out that this is called multiple times while setting up the characters for the ships’ crew, in order to get information about their home systems. This could probably be optimized away.
  • One of the calls to -[ShipEntity setUpFromDictionary:] accounts for 90 % of its total time (25.96/28.88). That’s because it was the only call to load a new model from disk. I’ve added profiling support for mesh loading now.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ahruman wrote:
As of tonight’s nightly, the full profiler functionality works on Vector3D, Quaternion, System and Console methods (again, not under Windows) as well as some internal functions called by other methods.
Update: it should now work on all native JS methods.