Log Errors in trunk

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

NorthenderPNE
Deadly
Deadly

Log Errors in trunk

Post by NorthenderPNE »

I thought i'd start a 175 log error thread alongside the 174 thread. So here's my log errors in 1.75.0.3587.

Hyperradio.

Code: Select all

[script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ***** JavaScript exception (hyperradio 1.17): TypeError: player.ship.hasEquipment is not a function
[script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]:       ../AddOns/Hyperradio 1.17.oxp/Scripts/hyperradio.js, line 100.
BountyScanner.

[script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ***** JavaScript exception (Bounty Scanner1.07 1.07): TypeError: this.Theplayership.hasEquipment is not a function
[script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]:       ../AddOns/BountyScanner 1.07.oxp/Scripts/BountyScanner.js, line 29.
Hopefully the oxp guys can find their errors here as well as there own threads. Then again maybe not. :wink:
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Log Errors in 1.75

Post by caracal »

NorthenderPNE wrote:
BountyScanner.

[script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]: ***** JavaScript exception (Bounty Scanner1.07 1.07): TypeError: this.Theplayership.hasEquipment is not a function
[script.javaScript.exception.notFunction]:       ../AddOns/BountyScanner 1.07.oxp/Scripts/BountyScanner.js, line 29.
Hopefully the oxp guys can find their errors here as well as there own threads. Then again maybe not. :wink:
I got to missing both System Redux and Bounty Scanner, so tonight I went in and dinked them both so they work with trunk. In case you want your Bounty Scanner back and don't want to wait for frame to fix it, here are the changes:

29c29
< 	if(this.Theplayership.hasEquipment("EQ_FRAME_BOUNTY_SCANNER"))
---
> 	if(this.Theplayership.equipmentStatus("EQ_FRAME_BOUNTY_SCANNER") == "EQUIPMENT_OK")
42c42
< 	if(this.Theplayership.hasEquipment("EQ_FRAME_BOUNTY_SCANNER"))
---
> 	if(this.Theplayership.equipmentStatus("EQ_FRAME_BOUNTY_SCANNER") == "EQUIPMENT_OK")
59c59
< 	if(!this.Theplayership.hasEquipment("EQ_FRAME_BOUNTY_SCANNER")) // Equipment might be damaged
---
> 	if(this.Theplayership.equipmentStatus("EQ_FRAME_BOUNTY_SCANNER") != "EQUIPMENT_OK") // Equipment might be damaged
And for System Redux it was even simpler:

108c108
< 	system.mainPlanet.setTexture('home_planet' + (((this.system_info[galaxyNumber * 256 + system.ID + 1] & 0xFF000) >> 12) + 1) + '.png');
---
> 	system.mainPlanet.texture = 'home_planet' + (((this.system_info[galaxyNumber * 256 + system.ID + 1] & 0xFF000) >> 12) + 1) + '.png';
Disclaimer: I am not the author of either of these OXPs, nor am I a known whiz with JavaScript, but these changes seemed to work for me. I would not recommend anybody else use them unless they're suicidal, or the changes get blessed by a guru. ;)

Oh, and where the heck did the JS docs go?! :? I had to go rooting around in the bbs and in some other scripts to find the necessary syntax. I suspect they're undergoing a major overhaul/rework and will come back soon, better than ever.
Last edited by caracal on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

In order to not confuse people I would rather not call this thread something with "1.75", because no Oolite 1.75 exists yet. You are reporting errors and warnings from the current trunk, which is not a version yet.

And by the way, for everybody who has read the deprecation warnings given by the same OXPs in 1.74 it is obvious that these would lead to error messages in trunk, as soon as the methods are removed.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Commander McLane wrote:
In order to not confuse people I would rather not call this thread something with "1.75", because no Oolite 1.75 exists yet. You are reporting errors and warnings from the current trunk, which is not a version yet.
Quote for emphasis. Thread title updated.
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

Commander McLane wrote:
Roger that, commander. In the future I'll use "trunk", and add "NNNN" to refer to a specific trunk version when necessary.
Commander McLane wrote:
And by the way, for everybody who has read the deprecation warnings given by the same OXPs in 1.74 it is obvious that these would lead to error messages in trunk, as soon as the methods are removed.
It being obvious is one thing. Having them stop working is quite another! ;)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

But also please don't be offended if we don't update OXPs for trunk. As stated previously before 1.74 test was released, trunk is a moving target and only really worth OXP updates when it is about to become a test release.

Trunk is not designed for playing, hence to some degree any incompatibilities, errors and warnings (especially depreciation ones) are a result of that. If you want the supported version, use 1.74 test ;)

All of the ones posted above are due to 1.74 depreciations, which the OXP authors haven't fixed yet. Hence in "1.75"/trunk those functions in their 1.73 forms are gone, and so will no longer work.
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

Thargoid wrote:
Trunk is not designed for playing...
Dude ... somebody has got to test it! :P

But your point is valid: Bug reports against trunk, and OXPs used under trunk, are not in the same category as those against a released version. Still, as a developer who firmly believes in Linus' Law, I appreciate knowing when my code doesn't work, including with well-known extensions. But an open thread on the BBS may not be the best place for such reports.
NorthenderPNE
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NorthenderPNE »

A valid point mate. My humblest of apologies. :wink:

@Thargoid

I won't be offended mate, and i fully understand it's not playable, but i play it anyway. As caracal says, it has to be tested. I play both 1.74 & 1.75 and if the 1.75 oxps don't get fixed it's no biggie but thought i'd point them out anyway. :wink:

COME ON ENGLAND! :D
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It's more that trunk is a moving target and being developed all the time. Hence things change, and what is compatible with one revision may not work with the next one, or may interact totally differently. And indeed due to the nature of things there can often be bugs in the trunk side of things that break OXPs.

Hence as I mentioned it's the general rule for OXP makers that we support the frozen test releases, not the very variable trunk ones. Many of us put in required.plist files for that specific reason. You're welcome to remove those and try the OXPs under trunk, but you do so at your own risk and without guarantee ;)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

As for trunk, we're actually testing a few things in preparation for a big internal change to the js engine, so it's even more of a moving target at the moment than it normally is... I definitely wouldn't start worrying about trunk error messages for another couple of weeks, at least! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
As for trunk, we're actually testing a few things in preparation for a big internal change to the js engine, so it's even more of a moving target at the moment than it normally is... I definitely wouldn't start worrying about trunk error messages for another couple of weeks, at least! :D
I think it is generally true:

- Shortly after a release, there will be added a lot of new stuff to trunk of which a certain part has flaws. But at this point most bugs will probably get spotted by the developers themselves. And because the difference with the latest release is small, there is no point in playing with trunk.
- Shortly before a release, all errors should have been gone. Than it is a good thing when others start playing with it to remove the last bugs before the final release.

And we are currently in the first phase were real play with trunk is not the most pleasant thing for just playing. And as kaks mentions, its currently full of temporary debugging code that strongly interferes with a lot of oxps.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

caracal wrote:
Oh, and where the heck did the JS docs go?! :? I had to go rooting around in the bbs and in some other scripts to find the necessary syntax. I suspect they're undergoing a major overhaul/rework and will come back soon, better than ever.
If you return to the place you were probably looking, you’ll see that the very first link under Subcategories is now Oolite JavaScript Reference.

I did this because, well, people keep shoving stuff that isn’t about scripting into the Oolite scripting category, so it was getting rather messy.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Incidentally, I’d like to take this opportunity to disagree with everyone above. Error reports regarding trunk are very welcome, because they generally reflect bugs in the code, which we may or may not know about. However, there are two broad exceptions to this:
  • Reports regarding things that were deprecated in the previous release and have now been removed; these are expected. When the OXPs in question are updated for the current release, they should also work in trunk.
  • New deprecation warnings. Unless otherwise specified, these are intended to live through at least one actual release so that OXPers have a chance to upgrade. The fact that you get a deprecation warning is proof positive that we know about the issue.
NorthenderPNE
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NorthenderPNE »

Well if Ahruman says it's okay then that's good enough for me. Thanks mate. :wink: :D
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

Ahruman wrote:
caracal wrote:
Oh, and where the heck did the JS docs go?!
If you return to the place you were probably looking, you’ll see that the very first link under Subcategories is now Oolite JavaScript Reference.

I did this because, well, people keep shoving stuff that isn’t about scripting into the Oolite scripting category, so it was getting rather messy.
Oh, very nice! Thanks for the pointer. Actually, I was looking here, following the now obviously outdated "preview of things to come" section of the OXP Howto, but that new page is much better.