Star Wars - The Old Republic

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Star Wars - The Old Republic

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Amazing trailer - from a Lecturer in Modelling and Simulation - I find it hard not to dribble - will be interesting to see if the actual in game footage is as impressive (most impressive)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y77BsaCoOMk
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Wow, that was very nicely done, not sure about that bit in the fight between the good and evil Jedi, i won't spoil it but i'm sure you'll notice the bit i mean. So stormtroopers are the good guys again now? I thought they all turned evil in the Revenge of the Sith film.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

The game will be set a few millenia before the films. I know, I know, why does all the stuff look so similar then? :?:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Poro wrote:
The game will be set a few millenia before the films. I know, I know, why does all the stuff look so similar then? :?:
Hey, there are significant technological changes between the KotOR era and the “modern” long time ago! Well, one: the ability to make edged weapons and armour that can deflect light sabers has been lost in the movie era.

And that’s it. Well, apart from the Death Star weapon.

There was some surprisingly good plotting in KotOR, and especially the bits of KotOR 2 that weren’t horribly broken, but the complete lack of imagination in the setting is ridiculous. It would have made more sense if it was set a century in the past.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Huh, that clip just blew all the fight scenes in the 2nd and 3rd prequel out of the water. Not that it is hard to do, I just wish they had achieved even a semblance of this kind of energy and emotion into the prequel movies.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Wolfwood wrote:
Huh, that clip just blew all the fight scenes in the 2nd and 3rd prequel out of the water. Not that it is hard to do, I just wish they had achieved even a semblance of this kind of energy and emotion into the prequel movies.
Given the phenomenal John Williams score in the background and the skill of Ray Park, I'd say the big fight at the end of PM was good right up to the point Darth Maul suddenly decided he wasn't better than Obi Wan and gave up (or so it felt!)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Yup, the Darth Maul fight scene was pretty great (which is why I only said 2nd and 3rd prequel above).

I wonder how much it will cost to play this upcoming MMO and if the in-game graphics are anywhere near the level shown in that trailer.

Truth to be said, I'd much rather see them make a short animated movie with the graphics style shown in that trailer... I'm not much of a MMO player...
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Wolfwood wrote:
... and if the in-game graphics are anywhere near the level shown in that trailer.
They aren't. The makers are going for a 'stylised' look to the game, not quite as 'stylised' as WoW, but definitely not photo-realistic. It still looks great, and from a distance many of the ships/scenery do look photo-realistic, but when you see the character models up close you can tell the direction they have gone in.