Editing the Wiki

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

finally finished adding all the dimensions of every known ship in the Ooniverse 8)

Now, I can finally get to work on the

Code: Select all

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Biggest_Ships_(Oolite)
page.

Having to figure out the cubic meters of every single ship though... what a pain.

<EDIT> had to put the link in a code box cause it wont let me link it normally :( copy and paste it
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

ADCK wrote:
Having to figure out the cubic meters of every single ship though... what a pain.
Or you could say “hey, developers, is there any way you could make this easier for me?”

(Spoiler: there is.)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Ahruman, you tease! :D

When were you planning to mention the first lines inside the .dat file? :P
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
Ahruman, you tease! :D

When were you planning to mention the first lines inside the .dat file? :P
No that does not work for ships with subentities. And not all .dat files contain the size info.

You could spawn a ship and ask for its "mass" in the console. Or the devs could easily add the bounding box info to an entity dump if requested.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I stand corrected! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Ahruman wrote:
ADCK wrote:
Or you could say “hey, developers, is there any way you could make this easier for me?”

(Spoiler: there is.)
I read this AFTER figuring out the cubic meter of every ship :cry:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I was actually thinking about the internal “volume” property, although the mass is of course based on it.

But I just realised that the volume calculation used by Oolite is completely bogus, and essentially unfixable. So that’s not really very helpful.

The volume of the bounding box is no use either.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ahruman wrote:
I was actually thinking about the internal “volume” property, although the mass is of course based on it.

But I just realised that the volume calculation used by Oolite is completely bogus, and essentially unfixable. So that’s not really very helpful.

The volume of the bounding box is no use either.
If we push each ship into a bath of virtual water and measure the change in level...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
If we push each ship into a bath of virtual water and measure the change in level...
The problem is that some ships (including the build-in stations) are nonmanifold. I.e., they’d leak.

The current volume calculation counts filled cubes in the collision octree, but the octree is only filled in cubes the surface passes through, not the interior. Fixing this would require making all models manifold, which’d be a lot of extra processing – and we want less processing when loading models, not more.

Post-MNSR, I’ll be introducing a new model format that’s designed to minimize the amount of processing. I’ll probably add pregenerated octrees, too. At that point, including the internal volume will be feasible.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

So the Cobby NJX is listed, but not the Rapier? Pfft!

EDIT: Sorry, I was under the impression that you were talking about completing "every single ship" on the page provided, whereas you actually say you are going to work on that.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Finding out ship volumes would be good (completly trivial information, but I like trivia! :P )

But for the Size lists on the wiki I just used the cube of its max length/width/height (the smallest possible box a ship could fit into)

So it's not exactly accurate, as some ships would end up with alot of empty space in that cube.

But anyways, I've finished the Size lists, now maybe PAGroove can come up with some fancy ship comparison charts :P