Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Thargoid's Missile Machine selection?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Falconeer
Competent
Competent

Thargoid's Missile Machine selection?

Post by Falconeer »

Oolite 1.74.

Hi, this is perhaps more a suggestion. :roll:

Well Done Mr Thargoid for your "Armoury" OXP. The Missile Machine is definately Right On :D However, when selected, my female computer voice tells me I have selected a Querium mine? Is there a way I could add "Missile Machine Working" to her syntax? And perhaps a little clunk as the pieces get assembled?

A really great addition to my ship!

I am still getting round to trying your "Buzz Bomb" selection :D

Cheers!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Hmm odd - although I don't play with the speech (or indeed any sound) on, so I haven't heard that one. Do you have any similar problems with other pylon equipment (try the probe missile from the same OXP for example)?

I can certainly add the clunk to the OXP, that's no problem at all (other than finding a suitable clunk). Not a bad suggestion at all.

And glad you're enjoying the thing!
Falconeer
Competent
Competent

Post by Falconeer »

Hi Mr Thargoid.

Yes, when I select non-missile weapons from the list displayed on the hud Eg. Repair Bots, Missile Maker, Extra Fuel Tank, anything thats not ordinance, she says "Querium Mine Armed"? Even though the screen correctly displays (Textually) what the item is!

I guess she doesn't know the difference, its this Female Voice OXP that needs to be looked at? Perhaps there is some speech quotes that could be added to the OXP, so she states exactly whats selected. If the text on the screen displays the selected item accurately, then if that text could be added to the Female Voice OXP, it should fix it. My theroretical guesswork :?

With my rudimentary skills it would be trial and error for a week and then it probably wouldn't work :oops:

Thanks again for your OXP, works a treat :D

PS For the "clunk" I was thinking something like the sound of the Undercarriage lowering in some of the flight sim's, like, whirrrrrr(Hydraulics) Thump, Clank ( Gear Doors Locking in place) 8)

EDIT: I noticed that the Missile Maker is called:
<string>EQ_ARMOURY_MISSILEMACHINE_MINE</string>
Could the "Mine" be why the computer voice calles it a mine? She actually calls it a Querium Mine?
tinker
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tinker »

The female voice oxp, ( hals hot sister perhaps?)

has this cose

Code: Select all

key>[mine-armed]</key>
	<string>minearmed.ogg</string>
This is the trigger for playing the mine armed sound file, there is another for missiles.
I think this was made when there were basically only a few missiles or a mine. If there is a key for other mine actions or non ordinance actions then they could be added with a suitable voice file. I do not know, and have not yet looked, to see if there are other actions that could be configured into the oxp, but you have got me interested in exploring this further.
Falconeer
Competent
Competent

Post by Falconeer »

Hi tinker, yep, if Hals Hot Sister could say " Missile Machine Working" or "Fragmentation missile armed" or "Energy recharge armed", she'd be even hotter :lol:

I was thinking something that could "read" the screen text like the windows default text reader?

However, like you say, it may need a pre recorded voice to sound "hot". I recall looking at some voice packs that you could download ( for a fee!!) to use in a voice add on for a flight sim. I gave up due to the time and my small number of declining brain cells.............too much Vogon Juice in the past :cry:

A Hot Hals sister that could be more interactive, eventually monitoring a few of your ships systems would be rather nice. We already have such a voice on some Flight Sims, like, "Low Altitude" , "Speed, Speed" "Terrain Terrain" and the famous"Pull Up Pull Up"...... :D

Wish I could code...anyway if I have give some of you clever guys an idea, then all is well :wink:

Best wishes.
Right on Commanders!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Falconeer wrote:
I was thinking something that could "read" the screen text like the windows default text reader?
You have seen the Spoken Messages On/Off option in the Game Options screen, right? The one with Gender: Male/Female below, that lets you also select the language in which the messages will be spoken?

OK, that voice is certainly not as hot as Hal's sister, I'll give you that ;-)
Falconeer
Competent
Competent

Post by Falconeer »

Nope , the voice is , well, rather none hot hal's sister! Also it reads everything on the screen, if memory serves.

I was thinking in terms of something of an intuitive interpretation of what you arm and what you would "need to know", like a verbal warning of "Low Energy", "Warning low energy" and "Eject Eject", or am I being to Flight Simmy there?

I would program (if I could) something akin to the computer voice on the Trek's. Not Marjel Barrett, but definately a female yoice. They say, as a pilot, you pay more attention to a female voice.....wonder why :oops: :lol:

The main thing is to get Hot Hals sister to stop saying "Querium mine armed" when I have selected Thargoids "Missile Maker" :wink:

Cheers.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Falconeer wrote:
They say, as a pilot, you pay more attention to a female voice.....wonder why :oops: :lol:
I don't! I just say "yes dear" and then forgot what she said! :twisted:
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

I can heartily recommend the female voice in "Hawksound" as an alternative to Hal's sister, hot though she might be. The Hawk lady sounds a bit more businesslike, and though to my taste she stumbles ever so slightly on a couple of phrases (like the "enabled" in the witchspace countdown, and she mis-emphasizes the phrase "mass locked"), many of her clips are nicer than the ones in Hal's. And she just says "Armed" when you arm anything, missile, mine, or exotic.

After being hit one too many times with her lilting and mournful "You have died" when I eat vacuum, I finally sat down and took all the beeps and boops and voices from every sound set I could find, and took the ones I liked for a custom set that I now fly with. Some are Hal's sister ("Escape capsule salvaged", "Eject! Eject! Eject!"), some are the Hawksound lady ("Armed", "Jump failed"), some are sound effects from other sets, and some are sound effects from non-oolite places. It's a bit random, and sure I'd love to have the same sexy female reading all the voice alerts, but what I have now suits my taste. I replaced the funereal "You have died" with the much more on-point "Warning, outer hull breached" followed by a nice explosion sound, found IIRC in the "Custom Sounds" OXP. I was tempted to use Hudson's frantic "Game over, man!" from Aliens, which is included in another of the soundset OXPs, but I don't want to smile when my ship gets smoked. :evil:

The spoken-messages thing is interesting, and like the dancing bear, amazing that it works at all, but to my ear the female version sounds like Bride of the Zombie Robot or something. Really creeps me out. And as Falconeer points out, it reads everything. If it were installed in my ship, I'd not only rip the part out, I'd space it and fly back around to vaporize it.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I want the female computer voice from "Portal", specifically "You will be baked and there will be cake" as you reach critical cabin temperature while sunskimming or trumble cooking.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I want the female computer voice from "Portal", specifically "You will be baked and there will be cake" as you reach critical cabin temperature while sunskimming or trumble cooking.
I’m pretty sure we can’t afford her.
Falconeer
Competent
Competent

Post by Falconeer »

Thanks for the speach info guys. I will have a go at some sound editing and see if I can get a good mix. I have the combination sound installed, so perhaps I need to simplify a bit.

PS. I now have a satisfying "click" on Mr Thargoids clever Missile Maker Device :D Sounds like a Rifle Bolt, when the missile is loaded on the rack! Anyways, nice one and this piece of kit has really enhanced my ship. If I go mining for some Alloys and Radioactives, all it costs is a good supply of computers, you can even scoop them if your fortunate, then the missiles get replaced! :D
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Falconeer wrote:
Anyways, nice one and this piece of kit has really enhanced my ship. If I go mining for some Alloys and Radioactives, all it costs is a good supply of computers, you can even scoop them if your fortunate, then the missiles get replaced! :D
Yeah its enhanced my ship too. I'm finding though that I'm not just buying only a couple of trade items, I'm carrying a few radioactives and alloys in case I need to make a few missiles on the fly.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Soter X
Harmless
Harmless

Re: Thargoid's Missile Machine selection?

Post by Soter X »

I love the missile machine. Had one on my Falcon and then bought another ship. I have looked everywhere for another one including hacker outposts and tech level 15 systems to buy another one. Can't find one anywhere. The missile machine still works on my old saved ship and other aspects of the armoury oxp work fine. If i knew how to do a one time hack to add a missile machine and deduct the price from my credits I would do that. Please help and thanks.

I had Elite on my Apple IIc as a kid and I have been hooked ever since.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Thargoid's Missile Machine selection?

Post by Thargoid »

It may be a glitch in the OXP due to the ship sale. I'll look into it later if I get chance.