Wiki problems (again, argh)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

winston
Pirate
Pirate

Wiki problems (again, argh)

Post by winston »

Summary:

There appears to be a network hardware problem with the server and/or the switch it connects to. This means while the server is running, it's unreachable. As it's several hundred miles from me, I have to rely on what the bods at TeleHouse can do, and given that the weekend has started and it's not fixed yet, I'm not confident it'll be up at least before Monday.

In the meantime, I have restored the data from the most recent backup onto another server (also in Telehouse). It would have been up sooner, except it took a long time to upload all the data via my pathetic ADSL upstream (there's an awful lot of data in the wiki now, well done all :-))

But given the proper server probably isn't goosed, the wiki is set to read-only for the time being.
Last edited by winston on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Thanks for the info, Winston. So, all we need now is ... patience .-)
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

OK given that we have a new release and I've not yet heard any ETA on when the proper server will be fixed, I've made the backup version writeable so you can update it (I doubt many updates were made between the 01:00 backup and 12:00 on the day it fell over).

If someone did do a mountain of editing between the backup and failure, then we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it and merge the changes back in.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

winston wrote:
OK given that we have a new release and I've not yet heard any ETA on when the proper server will be fixed, I've made the backup version writeable so you can update it (I doubt many updates were made between the 01:00 backup and 12:00 on the day it fell over).

If someone did do a mountain of editing between the backup and failure, then we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it and merge the changes back in.
I was asleep when it happened, so at least i got lucky there and my usual 10000 edits didn't happen :P
Steve
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Steve »

winston wrote:
Is this a "what exactly are you doing with my money" situation, with regard to whoever runs the server?
The Wiki seems to be up and down like Tiger Woods's trousers at the moment :?
FrontierAstro - dedicated to Elite, Frontier and Astronomy
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Winston, i have a MySQL database that you're welcome to use if you need it. PM me if you are interested...

:-)