Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

custom sounds for 1.74

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cobramac
Average
Average

custom sounds for 1.74

Post by Cobramac »

I've tried to find info as to the new sound effect options for 1.74, but cant seem to find anything listed anywhere, i read somewhere that it is now possible to add engine start, engine running, engine off etc etc etc sounds ? i have partially developed some sounds for a new WIP OXP i'm working on and would ideally love to have all the info relating to the possible use of all possible sound effects.

Anyone have to provide me with some info about this ?

much appreciated :)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Not yet ready. It's the upcoming BGS.oxp. by Svengali and me.
coming soon :)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: custom sounds for 1.74

Post by Kaks »

Cobramac wrote:
I've tried to find info as to the new sound effect options for 1.74, but cant seem to find anything listed anywhere, i read somewhere that it is now possible to add engine start, engine running, engine off etc etc etc sounds ? i have partially developed some sounds for a new WIP OXP i'm working on and would ideally love to have all the info relating to the possible use of all possible sound effects.

Anyone have to provide me with some info about this ?

much appreciated :)
Cobramac, even though we don't seem to have much info on the wiki, you can actually look inside the Oolite Resources, to grab all the info from the horse's mouth, so to speak...

I'm assuming you're on a mac (!). To see the options available for custom sounds, right/crl click on Oolite > Show Package Contents > Contents > Resources > Config > customsounds.plist...

Do have a look at the various sound replacement OXPs to see how you can create an OXP yourself... :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cobramac
Average
Average

Post by Cobramac »

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I've been through all the resources, none of the new sounds which can be done in 1.74 only are listed, so i assume they're some sort of variables in java script ? i can't seem to find any details surrounding the new sound options specifically for 1.74, i've read the plists , can't find it there or any document or resource pointing me in the right direction :P
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Where did this notion of new sounds in 1.74 come from? They aren’t mentioned in the release notes, you’ll note.
Cobramac
Average
Average

Post by Cobramac »

I could have sworn i read somewhere about the new sounds, saw the new background image options aswell, so i take it what i would like to do can't be done ? ie engine sound, torus drive sound etc ?

I've redone afterburner sound, new laser sound, new hullbang sounds, was hoping to add engine running sounds and possible torus drive sounds to that heh
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

If you want to play annoying innovative ambient sounds, you’ll have to script them.

I suggest using Sound.playMusic() for background loops, so they can be turned off (and you’re guaranteed to not have more than one at a time).
Cobramac
Average
Average

Post by Cobramac »

hehe, i see you not too in favour of them, but subtle ambient sounds can add alot to the experience as long as they're not too intrusive :)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I think he may be referring to the new backgrounds and sounds OXP coming soon from PAGroove and Svengali. Using the new screen backgrounds feature of 1.74.

Note the underlined words ;)