Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Increase logging level

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Increase logging level

Post by Palmski »

I'm a total Linux n00b, been on Windows since forever.

However I've just installed the latest Linux Mint distro (based on Ubuntu 10.04) just to see what it's all about never having used desktop Linux before, and thought I would also take the latest trunk for a spin to see what that was all about also. Just to make everything more complicated I thought I would combine the two. Obviously I have run into some problems.

I installed the trunk by adding http://debs.oolite.org lucid trunk to Package Manager and installing whatever was there, I assume that's the way to do it .

I copied the OXPs from my 1.73 Windows install across and I've updated to 1.74-compatible versions of some OXPs that were showing errors and tried to load my 1.73.4 saved game but for some reason it is telling me that I don't have the correct OXP loaded for my Python ET Special.

The log doesn't show any errors for the neolite-companion OXP (that I can see):

Code: Select all

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.74 (x86-64 test release) under Linux at 2010-06-13 11:38:29 +0100.
2 processors detected.
Oolite options: procedural planet textures, docking clearance, wormhole scanner, target incoming missiles, spoken messages, JavaScript console support, OXP verifier, localization tools, debug GraphViz support.

Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 1
[display.mode.list.native]: X11 native resolution detected: 1680 x 1050
[oxp.message]: /home/andy/.Oolite/AddOns/RandomHits1.3.8(beta).oxp: This is a test copy of Random Hits for personal use, don't spread
[oxp.message]: /home/andy/.Oolite/AddOns/Lave Academy 1.20.oxp: This is a beta-test version of the Lave Academy OXP for evaluation under 1.74 trunk. Once 1.74 is released, a final version of Lave Academy will be launched and should be used instead of this version.
[oxp.message]: /home/andy/.Oolite/AddOns/Target Autolock Plus 1.10.oxp: This is a beta-test version of the Target Autolock Plus OXP for evaluation under 1.74 trunk. Once 1.74 is released, a final version of Target Autolock Plus will be launched and should be used instead of this version.
[oxp.message]: /home/andy/.Oolite/AddOns/Pods 1.20.oxp: This is a beta-test version of the Pods OXP for evaluation under 1.74 trunk. Once 1.74 is released, a final version of Pods will be launched and should be used instead of this version.
[oxp.message]: /home/andy/.Oolite/AddOns/Pods-UPS 1.20.oxp: This is a beta-test version of the Pods UPS OXP for evaluation under 1.74 trunk. Once 1.74 is released, a final version of Pods UPS will be launched and should be used instead of this version.
[dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with shift key. Rebuilding from scratch.
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted Mode - Resources paths:
    /usr/lib/GNUstep/Applications/oolite.app/Resources
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/GrittyCoriolis.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/RandomHits1.3.8(beta).oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/AMS 1.10.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_F.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/custsounds.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/BoaClipper.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/dodo_stations.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_C.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/griff_boa-mk2_normalmapped.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Snoopers2.0.2.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Commies.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/DeepspaceShip.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_E.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/TrekMilHud.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/PalmskisPersonalShip.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_D.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/AsteroidStorm 3.56b09.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Traffic Control 1.10.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Lave Academy 1.20.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Griff_Debris_sets135_no_normal_map.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/shady_sungs.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_A.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Missile Analyser 1.1.1.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/FP Liners 1.00.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/black_baron.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE_set_B.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/CombinedSounds.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/griff_boa.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Famous_Planets_v2.0.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Target Autolock Plus 1.10.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/YOUR_AD_HERE.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/neolite.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Tianve1.3.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/PAG_oldships_v2.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/longway.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/The Feudal States v1.4.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/BigShips 1.02.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Welcome Mat 1.10.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/BountyScannerv1.061.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/System_Redux.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Dictators v1.3.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Pods 1.20.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Pods-UPS 1.20.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/UPS-courier v1.7.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/display_reputation.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/griff_shipset_dizzy's_all_in_1.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/neolite-companion.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/ACS_1.0.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/adcks_bulk_haulers_v1.4.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/TAF_reset.oxp
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 3.2.9756 ("3.2.9756 Compatibility Profile Context")
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series   
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (158):
GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_AMD_draw_buffers_blend, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object_rgb32, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array, GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_AMD_seamless_cubemap_per_texture, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_sync, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_provoking_vertex, GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc, GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend, GL_AMD_shader_stencil_export, GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions, GL_AMDX_vertex_shader_tessellator, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_bindable_uniform, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_AMDX_name_gen_delete, GL_NV_primitive_restart, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object, GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_ARB_texture_query_lod, GL_EXT_texture_integer, GL_EXT_gpu_shader4, GL_EXT_transform_feedback, GL_EXT_texture_lod, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_AMD_vertex_shader_tessellator, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_ARB_instanced_arrays, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_ARB_geometry_shader4, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_EXT_draw_instanced, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_ATI_meminfo, GL_ARB_texture_multisample, GL_EXT_texture_snorm, WGL_EXT_swap_control, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_shadow_ambient, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_EXT_timer_query, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_AMD_performance_monitor, GL_EXT_packed_float, GL_AMD_texture_cube_map_array, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_histogram, GL_ATI_fragment_shader, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object, GL_EXT_copy_buffer, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_snorm, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_geometry_shader4, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_AMD_conservative_depth, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_AMD_texture_texture4, GL_NV_explicit_multisample, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object, GL_EXT_texture_array, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc, GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_ATI_texture_float, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders are supported.
[rendering.opengl.shader.mode]: Shader mode set to SHADERS_FULL.
[shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 41 world scripts:
    ams_system 1.10
    AsteroidStorm 4.00
    Automatic Chaff System 1.0
    bigShips_populator 1.0.2
    blackbaron 1.70
    Bounty Scanner 1.061
    communist_population 2.09
    dictatorship_population
    display-reputation-contract 1.1
    display-reputation-passenger 1.1
    Famous Planets Launch Script 1.2
    Famous Planets Liners Script 1.0
    feudal-challenge.js 3.0
    feudal-escape-pod.js 1.0
    feudal-mission.js 1.0
    feudal-planetfall.js 1.0
    feudal-promotion.js 1.0
    feudal-ranks.js 2.0
    feudal-tournament.js 1.0
    LaveAcademy 1.2
    long_way_round
    missile_analyser 1.1.1
    oolite-cloaking-device 1.74
    oolite-constrictor-hunt 1.74
    oolite-nova 1.74
    oolite-thargoid-plans 1.74
    oolite-tianve 1.3
    oolite-trumbles 1.74
    Pi-Forty-Two Con stores 4.1.1
    Random_Hits 1.3.8 (beta)
    snoopers 2.0.2
    System Redux 1.2 1.2
    TAF_reset.anon-script
    targetAutolock 1.10
    TrafficControl 1.1
    ups_container 1.7
    ups_docs 1.7
    ups_parcel 1.7b02
    ups_slaves 1.7
    ups_sun 1.7
    Welcome Information Script 1.1
[script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning (Automatic Chaff System 1.0): Ship.hasEquipment("EQ_ACS") is deprecated, use ship.equipmentStatus("EQ_ACS") == "EQUIPMENT_OK" instead.
[loading.complete]: ========== Loading complete. ==========
[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "qmrk".
[files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "qmrk".
[load.failed]: ***** Failed to load saved game "Palmski.oolite-save": Could not find ship type “python-x-player” - please reinstall the appropriate OXP.

I have the neolite-companion OXP installed so I'm a bit stumped without any logging to give me a clue as to what is going wrong. What do I need to change in the logcontrol.plist file to get more detailed logging information out that might help me?

I think I've loaded the patched gnustep version as suggested, so as far as I know things should work?
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

Ah nuts to it, I just noticed the big news that 1.74 is on general test release. I'll just reboot into Windows and run it there instead I think. Has to be the easier option given my relative skill level with each platform :wink:

When I feel like getting into a world of hurt I'll come back to Linux and try and get things working!
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

As is noted on debs.oolite.org, several bugs in the version of gnustep shipped with Lucid prevent Oolite from working correctly.

Please use the autopackage version of Oolite on Lucid (and any other distro running gnustep1.19.x).
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

Dumb question then, how do I go about doing that? I downloaded it and ran it but it didn't actually do anything that I could see - Linux confuses the life out of me by spreading files out into all kind of unexpected (for a Windows user) places.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

After running, the autopackage install creates the folloing menu entry: main menu > games > oolite (IIRC, it will say just that at the end of the installation, including instructions on how to remove Oolite in case you ever wanted to do that)

Click the Oolite entry in the menu & you're done! :P
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

That's where things started to go wrong, I clicked said menu option and it didnae work cap'n. No splash screen, no logs, no nuthin' so I assumed it hadn't installed and tried the package installed route instead.

nvm, I'll come back and have another go at this another time - 1.74 is working perfectly under Windows so I'll just use that. I was just giving this a try so I could run trunk before it became a bone fide test release to see if everything was working before upgrading my main game, little knowing that I was only hours away from getting said test release anyway.

It was also an exercise in trying to figure out What Linux Can Do For Me. Thus far take up too much RL time when I could be gaming :lol: