Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Fugitive pallas ships; rock hermits

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Fugitive pallas ships; rock hermits

Post by UK_Eliter »

How about (just two suggestions): (1) having fewer fugitive pallases leaving stations (it gets a bit repetitive and unlikely); (2) having pirate bases using the fab new rock hermit models (the latter being, I think, an artefact of recent 'trunk' builds)? Apropos 2: at present, one can tell rather easily, and even without a bounty scanner, which are 'good' rock hermits and which are bad ones.

PS: also, I'll repeat my previous request to have speed set to zero after a witchspace jump. That's a good idea, no?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I'm confused! :P

- Pallases are not part of the core game, and indeed seem to have disappeared as a separate oxp. I'm actually in the process of cleaning up the original Pallas oxp ( from Charlie ) to bring them up to date for the upcoming 1.74 version of Oolite. Have you got Realistic Shipyards, or OE installed? They might well be coming from there! :)

- 'Pirate rock hermits'? Not sure what you mean, there's only one type of rock hermit in Oolite itself. This sounds a lot like a RS/OE thing too.

The first step is really to find out exactly which oxp is doing what, then you can either ask the oxp makers to make changes to their own oxps, or maybe dive straight in, and see if you can tweak things more to your liking! :)

About speed to zero after a witchspace jump: just my opinon, but it's going to be a bit unlikely. It would make you a bit too much of a sitting duck in case you end up somewhere with enemies waiting just for you (like in some anarchy systems, or when you have a witchspace malfunction).
Last edited by Kaks on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

pirate rock hermits are "Pirate Coves"

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Pirate_Coves_OXP
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

It's possible the "fab new rock hermit models" are the "ring" type that ADCK introduced in either his Bulk Haulers or Behemoths OXPs. I can't remember which OXP they came from.

EDIT: it's from his Behemoths OXP.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

The Pallas is from an oxp I have and which I appear to have tinkered with - for it is called 'Pallas (fixed).oxp'. I will try to change the frequency of appearance myself. I really should have thought of that. I need to think more before I post!

As to speed: but setting it to zero would make it less likely that you crash into e.g. and esp. a buoy having just witch-jumped.

As to the coves: yes, we could ask ADCK to extend his new hermit design to the pirate coves.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

UK_Eliter wrote:
As to the coves: yes, we could ask ADCK to extend his new hermit design to the pirate coves.
Shouldn't need to do that. If you have Behemoths and Pirate Coves installed together then Coves should use the new design (as well as the old design).
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

About colliding with buoys, it should be extremely difficult to do so in 1.74, but not impossible, just to keep you on your toes...

AFAIK, the ad buoys from YAH are the biggest risk to navigation in any case.
The really good news is that - if you really want to - you can add a tiny bit of code to YAH to actually move those billboards further away from the witchspace exit point.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Yeah, putting big immobile blobs right in the designated witchspace exit zone strikes me as less of a marketing strategy and more of an area denial weapon.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Ahruman wrote:
Yeah, putting big immobile blobs right in the designated witchspace exit zone strikes me as less of a marketing strategy and more of an area denial weapon.
If I'm completely honest, I think we maybe misunderstood the whole concept of "impact marketing": but we'd all had a lot of coffee and it was late on a Friday afternoon, so ...
BlackKnight
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BlackKnight »

Disembodied wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
If I'm completely honest, I think we maybe misunderstood the whole concept of "impact marketing": but we'd all had a lot of coffee and it was late on a Friday afternoon, so ...
"Witchpoint Marketing - More BANG!(*) For Your Buck"

(*)But possibly fewer repeat customers :oops:
You really want to know what's gonna happen, Ambassador? Boom. Boom boom. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. BOOM!