Strange bug concerning smoothing

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Strange bug concerning smoothing

Post by Commander McLane »

A while ago Eric sent me an alternative dat-file for the Imperial Courier, where he had introduced smoothing groups. Looks nice.

But when I tested it I came across a strange bug:

I replaced the original dat-file with Eric's, and then set smooth = TRUE in shipdata. The ship appeared smoothed. So far so good.

Then I wanted to compare a smoothed and a non-smoothed version. So, while using the same dat-file, I set the IC-player to smooth = TRUE, and the IC-NPC to smooth = FALSE. Then I created an IC-NPC next to my ship and switched to external view. Both ships were smooth. Quit Oolite, restart and spawn again. Both ships non-smooth.

To make it short: Whichever of the two ships I declare smooth in shipdata, always both ships appear exactly alike. There seems to be an element of random in whether both are smooth or both are non-smooth. But it is impossible to create a smooth NPC alongside a non-smooth player ship or vice versa.

Of course, if in both shipdata-entries the smooth-key is set to the same value, both appear in that way. But if it is set differently for NPC- and player-version, both versions are the same, but randomly so.

That seems buggy to me.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

they're both using the same dat file right?

One way to get around this would be to have them use 2 diff copies of the same dat file, that theorhetically should fix your problem, but it would only be a band-aid solution.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Fixed in r3494.