Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Falcon 9

Post by JensAyton »

Split from NASA Mars Mission
ClymAngus wrote:
To clarify (however people read it) I'm not advocating giving a billion to the first FUBAR in a space suit with a rocket shoved up his happy tunnel. Just maybe a little less hand wringing and a little more doing would be nice, some time before a slightly better aimed Apophis turns up.
So it’s a good thing the SpaceX Falcon 9 and Dragon (mockup) are set to launch this Friday, then. (Originally slated for last November, but what the hey.)
Last edited by JensAyton on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ahruman wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
To clarify (however people read it) I'm not advocating giving a billion to the first FUBAR in a space suit with a rocket shoved up his happy tunnel. Just maybe a little less hand wringing and a little more doing would be nice, some time before a slightly better aimed Apophis turns up.
So it’s a good thing the SpaceX Falcon 9 and Dragon (mockup) are set to launch this Friday, then. (Originally slated for last November, but what the hey.)
Speaking of which, the launch was supposed to be five minutes ago, but is now at T-17:30.

There’s supposed to be There is a webcast here, which was supposed to start at T-20:00. Supposedly.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

T - 9 minutes! Getting there! :)

EDIT: And it sounds like they experienced a computer malfunction a couple of seconds just before launch... If that's the case, bloody typical! :evil:

RE-EDIT Apparently a parameter was 'out of scope', probably not computer related. The computer did shut down the engine as a safety measure though. T - 15 minutes, again. Ah, the suspence! :D

RE-RE-EDIT Second countdown restarted, I'm on tenterhooks! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Sweet, we had take off! :)

It took 6 minutes to reach 'space' (well, that's when the sky started to look positively black anyway) and 9 minutes to reach orbit & vanish behind the horizon, as seen by cape Canaveral. Very Oolite like! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

Had to work shortly after the abort with only live updates from friends afterwards. And very happy to find this video today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP5gykvTBpM. :)
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

I think that is a big "Well done!" to the guys at SpaceX, it's not often that the maiden flight of a new rocket goes as well as this - yes, I know, not entirely new, but even 'new improved models' don't seem to have had an enormously high success rate.

...now all we need is success with the plasma drives mentioned elsewhere, and someone to crack 'warp drive'... ....now what was that I read about JPL engineers playing with injecting anti-matter into plasma streams?... that should be 'interesting'... :?
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

…and now the Falcon 9 has become a UFO.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

an IFO, surely!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Nice UFO video, again via Bad Astronomy.