Aaaawwwwwooooooooo!!!!!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Ahruman wrote:
There are always new things to discover as long as you’re not very observant. :-p
It’s amazing what you can miss… I only noticed last night that I seem to lose a tenth of a light’s worth of quirium fuel every time I make a jump; i.e. with a full tank, I make a jump of 2.8 lights, and have only 4.1 lights worth of fuel left. What’s the ‘handwavium’ explanation for that?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Rounding error.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

El Viejo wrote:
… I only noticed last night that I seem to lose a tenth of a light’s worth of quirium fuel every time I make a jump; i.e. with a full tank, I make a jump of 2.8 lights, and have only 4.1 lights worth of fuel left. What’s the ‘handwavium’ explanation for that?
[handwavium]

Simple, Blimovitch space-time breakdown effect.

When a ship falls back into normal space from witchspace, it will have used up the quirium fuel for moving through the witchspace continuum, but the re-alignment with Minkowski space needs a careful multidimensional breaking so as not to overshoot. So a comparatively small additional amount of quirium fuel is used by the ships system to stabilise you at re-rentry, you don't normally notice this because the ship's computers do this automatically.

This is also the reason why no fully automated flight computers exist. The workload any processor has to do when calculating to balance out the Blimovitch space-time breakdown effect means that there is simply no capacity left for such shenanigans.

If that balancing out does not occur, btw, you overshoot and instead of re-entry into Minkowski space you exit in an alternate space, usually a form of interstellar witch space with the visible constellations all wrong. I'm sure you will have heard of such incidents.

[/handwavium]
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

thanks for the comments everyone :-)

i've just reuploaded the OXP, taking out my test script that spawns some wolfies when you launch, and amending the Chance variable in the shipyard. Smivs, i think this is what was causing the issue about the energy units, as i had a whole list of available upgrades, and the "Chance" set to "1", which makes the ship always availabe (for testing) but also (oddly, i feel) determines what equipment is fitted. i'm usig trunk which i thought that other thread meant having both units should not be possible?

re flickery stuff : i've noticed a couple time that when i'm bopping around the station to pick fights etc for cool screenshots, the aegis "S" has been flickering ~ this was before i actually shot someone and became an undesireable.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

El Viejo wrote:
It’s amazing what you can miss… I only noticed last night that I seem to lose a tenth of a light’s worth of quirium fuel every time I make a jump; i.e. with a full tank, I make a jump of 2.8 lights, and have only 4.1 lights worth of fuel left. What’s the ‘handwavium’ explanation for that?
Fuel Leak, even the best of cars leak fuel after a while, so why not space ships. :P
BlackKnight
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BlackKnight »

Ahruman wrote:
There are always new things to discover as long as you’re not very observant. :-p
R-i-i-i-g-h-t, so it's not as me missus keeps telling me (that I'm as blind as a bat), it's more a case of "I'm always on the lookout for new experiences".

Gonna have to remember that one... thanks!
You really want to know what's gonna happen, Ambassador? Boom. Boom boom. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. BOOM!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

About Extra Energy Unit + Naval Energy Unit on the same ship, it was fixed, but maybe it either got un-fixed a couple of months later, or it never properly removed the EEU from the description to begin with (which I seem to remember it did)...

Will have a look at that part of the code asap!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmm, it seems that I missed out one possibility way back then...
Fixed in rev 3444!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

BlackKnight wrote:
R-i-i-i-g-h-t, so it's not as me missus keeps telling me (that I'm as blind as a bat), it's more a case of "I'm always on the lookout for new experiences".
Exactly. It’s a blessing in very heavy disguise.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Just read that - wow! The IsisHUD was already pretty cool, but this one is just gorgeous! Not only the looks, but the context sensitivity... I didn't even know that was possible! Thanks a lot!
Of course I'll also install the Werewolf, but I guess it will be the same like it's with the Venom - it's always installed, but I never buy it in my main save... :lol:
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Cheers Corny :-)

even if you don't buy one they add a little eye candy.

if you want some great fun, see if you can find a Dominatrix or a Diamondback, and then open fire on her ;-)
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Yeah, that's exactly the reason why I add them. Apart from them, I usually only use the core ships because Griff's OXP covers them...
Now that you mention it, were are those two ships included? I can't find them on the wiki.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

haven't worked out how to do the wiki thing yet, my ships can be found at :-
http://www.purgatori.net/dominatrix.htm
http://www.purgatori.net/diamondback.htm
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Killer Wolf wrote:
haven't worked out how to do the wiki thing yet, my ships can be found at :-
http://www.purgatori.net/dominatrix.htm
http://www.purgatori.net/diamondback.htm
I;ve been meaning to add them and the nuit station to the wiki, havnt gotten around to it yet.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Thanks! Downloaded and installed.