big fuel tanks

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

harry747
Deadly
Deadly

big fuel tanks

Post by harry747 »

i'd like to see some additional fuel tanks that could be installed in the cargo bay like passenger berths and hold enough fuel for several 7LY jumps. you'd jump your 7 ly, then transfer fuel from the additional fuel tank(s) (which should, of course, take time) to the main tanks and jump again. this would save a lot of time on longer routes.

like? dislike? discuss!
MacBook pro, OSX 10.8.5, Xcode 5
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The Fuel Tank OXP works along these lines, although it uses a hardpoint.
harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

IIRC that fuel tank has several limitations. like it only holds like 3 ly worth of fuel, and when it's empty, it can't be refilled, correct? not exactly what i had in mind.
MacBook pro, OSX 10.8.5, Xcode 5
Yrol_Denjeah
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Yrol_Denjeah »

Very nice idea.
I never again need to refuel with my anaconda then :)

Oh, wait... Gamebalance comes to my mind.
(in a cutely insane, electronic, stuttering female voice)
Are you Afraid? What is it you Fear?
The End of your Trivial Existence? Ha!
When the History of my Glory is written,
your Species shall only be a Footnote
to my Magnificence.
I am SHODAN.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Again, and I'm starting to sound like a broken record here, it should be fairly doable via oxp, (minus the time lapse thing, which incidentally is already scriptable in trunk, but isn't scriptable in 1.73.x).
You'd have to use a missile pylon like in fuel tank, since there's no key that can be used for oxp defined functions.

Have a look inside Thargoid's OXPs: if you really feel that way inclined, you can modify the fuel tanks to give you 7 ly per go, instead of 3 ly, and even to automagically give yourself a new fuel tank every time you use the previous one. Or anything in between, really... :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Kaks wrote:
…and even to automagically give yourself a new fuel tank every time you use the previous one.
Or, to put it differently, you can have reusable equipment on hardpoints, not just one-shots. (Multiple missile racks are a variation on this technique.)
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

harry747 wrote:
IIRC that fuel tank has several limitations. like it only holds like 3 ly worth of fuel, and when it's empty, it can't be refilled, correct? not exactly what i had in mind.
It's possible to script an external fuel tank that holds 7 ly. of fuel, or an internal tank that holds as much fuel as you want.

Anything is possible really, however, the fuel tank carries only 3 l.y because the author might have felt that anything more would break the game, some ships have more than 4 hard points (or 12 L.Y of fuel)

and as such, I wouldn't create an OXP that would allow a player infinite refuels on a Boa cruiser with 175 cargo or lets presume 175 + 7 = 182 L.Y of fuel.

if you are short on RL time, you already have the TAF and an OXP to turn that off upon docking.

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Kaks wrote:
Have a look inside Thargoid's OXPs: if you really feel that way inclined, you can modify the fuel tanks to give you 7 ly per go, instead of 3 ly, and even to automagically give yourself a new fuel tank every time you use the previous one. Or anything in between, really... :)
Much as I would like it to have been , the Fuel Tank OXP isn't actually one of mine. I did the Fuel Stations which could be another solution to the problem though.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Oops, muddled up typing! Fuel tanks are from Ramirez, Thargoid created at least one multiple missile piece of equipment which you can look at to see how to do the automagic thing I was talking about...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Or, of course, you can always fit heat shielding and fuel scoops, and do some Sun-skimming. This makes multi-system jumps not only possible but quick and easy as well. :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Smivs wrote:
Or, of course, you can always fit heat shielding and fuel scoops, and do some Sun-skimming. This makes multi-system jumps not only possible but quick and easy as well. :D
Not so quick if you have FarSun or Orbits OXPs installed! :roll:
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!