Upgraded from 1.65 to 1.73.4 framerate?

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Gnudoll
Dangerous
Dangerous

Upgraded from 1.65 to 1.73.4 framerate?

Post by Gnudoll »

When I upgraded from 1.65 to 1.73.4 my framerate went down from 100FPS to about 60FPS. is there that much more to render in teh newer version? Nothing else was added or changed. Machine info if it helps:

P4 @ 2.8Ghz
2Gb RAM
500 GB SATA HDD
GeForce FX 5200 AGP
Saitek ST 290 Pro joystick

Game is still quite playable, and I'm having a blast. Just wondering why the framerate dropped so much is all
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hi Gnudoll, and welcome to the friendliest forum this side of Reidquat! :D

So far as I recall, framerate is now set to max out at the same frequency as your screen refresh.. the idea is to avoid flickering, I believe..

You could always try upping your screen refresh to 70 or 85 Hz, see what happens then...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Gnudoll
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Gnudoll »

Hm, that is fine then if that is true. And thanks for the welcome! Of course, this place may get me i trouble with my sister, as she already thinks I'm an addict (with regards to this game). I mean the game itself, the IRC channel, and now a forum?!? Actually I'm only having trouble with two things in the game: it will "corrupt" occasionally and not play right until I quit and restart the game, and (2) those bells when buying and selling drive me nuts! Is there a setting to turn those off while retaining the other game sounds? At this point, I turn my speakers off whenever I'm docked. . . ;)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

As Diziet Sma said, V-sync is enabled in the versions post-1.65. The idea is to avoid tearing effects. More information here.

Also note that 1.65 and 1.73.4 (latest test release) are similar only in appearance. There are about a million and a half changes under the hood, to improve the expandability and performance of the game in the latest test releases.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The buying and selling bells annoyed me too.. but then I installed the "'Hal's Hot Sister" OXP, which among other things, has much more pleasant buy & sell sounds..

Another trick you could try is to find/make a couple of short .ogg files of sounds that you like, name them buy.ogg & sell.ogg, create a directory named "Sounds" (without the quotes, of course) in your AddOns directory, and then save them there.. that way they will over-ride the default sounds.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

An easier (and more efficient) approach is to create a customsounds.plist file in your AddOns folder, like so:

Code: Select all

{
    "[buy-commodity]" = "";
    "[sell-commodity]" = "";
}