Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

CTD - Error Log Posted

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

I also don't think that this is the reason. Later today I'll compare the working file with the CTD causing files :?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Eric Walch wrote:
But I can't find any inward face (wrong winding) in the model myself. Maybe is wingz not the right tool to find them easy.
Then let's call them occluded faces (faces that are completely inside of the mesh, so not shown). Could be that they are triggering something in Nvidias driver/DX9.

I've started now to compare the files and (except from a lot of precision differences on vertex coords, but already tested and not the reason) there are only two differences left. The - in my version - removed faces and one block (in the FACE section too) with a different sorting order, but identical values. I'll manually remove the occluded faces now in your reworked version and we'll see if this makes a difference (occlusion query?).
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Removing the occluded faces seems to be the key (with this model?) and the game does not crash in v1.73.4 and r3314. I've removed the faces, but not touched the texture part in the .dat (so even with original textures) it won't look correctly.

@Phoenix4: Can you test if this runs ok on your machine? http://www.box.net/shared/88qrludxgv (24.4KB)
Phoenix4
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phoenix4 »

Hi Svengali, thanks for the test file.

As you can see from the screenshot below it appears fine. I removed all OXP's and only added this one (to speed up viewing etc.), and it works with Threading Optimisation set to On or OFF, and with Shaders at FULL. :D

Cheers,
Px4

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Phoenix4 wrote:
As you can see from the screenshot below it appears fine. I removed all OXP's and only added this one (to speed up viewing etc.), and it works with Threading Optimisation set to On or OFF, and with Shaders at FULL. :D
Thanks a lot for testing.-)

One step further then...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

If opened in Wings3d, also the Salvage Gang and Hacker Outpost models have some odd and funny faces, for instance one going right through the tunnel, which are however not visible in the game. I guess these are artifacts from the 3d-software Killer Wolf used. I hope they don't give anyone trouble.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Commander McLane wrote:
If opened in Wings3d, also the Salvage Gang and Hacker Outpost models have some odd and funny faces, for instance one going right through the tunnel, which are however not visible in the game. I guess these are artifacts from the 3d-software Killer Wolf used. I hope they don't give anyone trouble.
Both models are not causing the CTD. It seems that only models with multiple textures in the .dat file are 'dangerous'. And I'm still thinking that the underlaying problem is not identified.