Passenger Ferrying Reputation?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Passenger Ferrying Reputation?

Post by Palmski »

Is it normal that my reputation is dropping while I'm actually on a contract? I've gone from something that sounded quite impressive (impeccable or something) to "just starting to make a name for myself" in the course of ferrying two passengers the width of the galaxy.

I've not even fired them out of the missile tubes or anything!
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

I think it's also a matter of time. If a lot of time passes between actually dropping someone off, your reputation will go down.
Journey
Average
Average

Post by Journey »

I'm not sure how it works, but I made one passenger carrying run and earned the title 'best passenger carrier in the galaxy'. I managed to pick up one for Ararus, one for Eninre, another for Ararus and one for Riedquat, and got them all safely delivered with time to spare [making a really nice fare and a good bonus].

Since then, about another twenty jumps and no more passengers, and I still have the same title. I expect it will start to drop at some point, but wouldn't think it would drop the way it happened to you :( That seems awfully quick in one trip.
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

Chrisfs wrote:
I think it's also a matter of time. If a lot of time passes between actually dropping someone off, your reputation will go down.
Well that's the strange thing. There was no gap between dropping off the last fare and picking up the next one (or in fact two, got lucky with a 20k and a 10k contract going to systems next door to each other).

In the course of ferrying these two souls across the galaxy - 80+ LY contracts which obviously take time - my reputation went from clearly quite a high one to be able to get high worth contracts down to virtually nothing by the time I had dropped them both off. Is that how the game mechanic is supposed to work? I confess I hadn't noticed it before because I have only just installed the display reputation OXP.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Palmski wrote:
... In the course of ferrying these two souls across the galaxy - 80+ LY contracts which obviously take time - my reputation went from clearly quite a high one to be able to get high worth contracts down to virtually nothing by the time I had dropped them both off. Is that how the game mechanic is supposed to work? ...
If that's how this does work internally, I suggest to change the core game mechanics regarding this in a way that the reputation stays where it is until a contract has either been completed or become uncompleteable.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Palmski wrote:
Chrisfs wrote:
Well that's the strange thing. There was no gap between dropping off the last fare and picking up the next one (or in fact two, got lucky with a 20k and a 10k contract going to systems next door to each other).

In the course of ferrying these two souls across the galaxy - 80+ LY contracts which obviously take time - my reputation went from clearly quite a high one to be able to get high worth contracts down to virtually nothing by the time I had dropped them both off. Is that how the game mechanic is supposed to work? I confess I hadn't noticed it before because I have only just installed the display reputation OXP.
Possibly you're s'posed to be a seasoned/multi-tasking type commander who picks up additional contracts that are convenient to you on the way?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Passenger Ferrying Reputation?

Post by Eric Walch »

Palmski wrote:
Is it normal that my reputation is dropping while I'm actually on a contract? I've gone from something that sounded quite impressive (impeccable or something) to "just starting to make a name for myself" in the course of ferrying two passengers the width of the galaxy.
Its normal. Or actually it is not dropping but a part of your reputation is changing randomly. The reputation is based on proven failures/successes and an unknown part. That "unknown part" is different on every station.

However, the more passengers you transport, the smaller the unknown part becomes and the more stable your (good or bad) reputation will be. When time passes your reputation tends to be forgotten so just keep busy to maintain your reputation.
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

Could be, kinda tough when you're starting out with a 35t cargo bay though to easily chop and change your configuration. I'm running with two passengers and finding that restrictive enough.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I think it’s entirely reasonable that getting a top-notch rating is difficult and/or requires significant investment.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

A cobra 3 is not a bus, if you want to be a ferry, buy a ferry :)
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

Eric Walch wrote:
Its normal. Or actually it is not dropping but a part of your reputation is changing randomly. The reputation is based on proven failures/successes and an unknown part. That "unknown part" is different on every station.

However, the more passengers you transport, the smaller the unknown part becomes and the more stable your (good or bad) reputation will be. When time passes your reputation tends to be forgotten so just keep busy to maintain your reputation.
Ah thanks, that makes sense. I'm certainly racking up the parsecs - if nothing else it's encouraging me to explore some more off the beaten track.
Ahruman wrote:
I think it’s entirely reasonable that getting a top-notch rating is difficult and/or requires significant investment.
I completely agree, don't want to make thing easy! I thought it was odd that my rep had dropped so quickly but now that has been explained - it can even be justified as I haven't done any contracts in my current part of the galaxy so why should I have any reputation?
Cmdr James wrote:
A cobra 3 is not a bus, if you want to be a ferry, buy a ferry
While I am saving up for something a little roomier, however I also think of the Cobby more as a minicab. However I am prepared to go south of the river as I'm packing military lasers :twisted:
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Palmski wrote:
However I am prepared to go south of the river as I'm packing military lasers :twisted:
Wait, when did they add that bit to the Knowledge? :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Remember where I live ;)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Suddenly quite a few things about 'saarf Lonnon' start making sense! The multi-directional lasers, for one! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)