Are there any systems in a row, with one exactly centred.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Are there any systems in a row, with one exactly centred.

Post by Cmdr James »

I was just wondering if you have a misjump that exactly locates you on a system, what happens?
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Guessing here, but likely you would enter witchspace at the exact co-ordinates as the system, but not the system iteslf, same way as you can have two systems at the exact same coordinates but not be in both systems. My way of explaining it is the Z axis, something that cant be seen on a 2d map, but as we know the universe is 3d :P
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I don't know about any such systems, but I did test misjumps between two systems which share the exactly same coordinates. Technically it's the same case: You should pop up in one of them.

But you don't. The misjump still ends in interstellar space, although your locator is still on the system(s) and you have used no fuel. You still have to jump back into one of the overlapping systems (without pulling your joystick in the last second).

So: misjump = interstellar space, and Oolite doesn't care what else may have the same map coordinates. Your planet_number is still -1, therefore interstellar = true.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

and what should it do? does it need "fixing" or do we think this is correct?
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Cmdr James wrote:
and what should it do? does it need "fixing" or do we think this is correct?
I personally think it is correct, to use Commander McLane's example, if viewed from above (like it is in Oolite, only X and Y axis) it would look as if they were all in the same space, but viewed from the side (only X and Z axis) it might look like:

System A
^
Interstellar space
v
System B

Since oolite does not take the Z axis into account in the maps.

Off topic part follows

Which brings up something else, its would be impossible for all systems in a galaxy to share the same Z axis, if you were to view space from a planet all the stars would appear in a straight line :P and what about fuel? how come no fuel is consumed when travelling solely along the Z axis? In Commander McLane's example again, for all we know System A and B are 1 million light years apart :P but it wouldnt matter since theyre on the same X and Y axis' hehe
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

z axis
There is the answer. Things are falling downwards, no fuel needed. 8)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

snork wrote:
z axis
There is the answer. Things are falling downwards, no fuel needed. 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

And on your way back you simply turn the whole galaxy upside down and fall downwards again. q.e.d. :D
Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phantom Hoover »

I wonder if this could be used to move sideways...
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

Phantom Hoover wrote:
Sadly no. Look at it on the screen--it's obvious that the universe is flat, like a sheet of paper. And like a sheet of paper, it can easily rest on either side, but cannot be stood on edge. Doncha just love physics? :lol:
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Phantom Hoover wrote:
For some reason that reminded me of the "Happy Vertical People Transporter" from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Not unnaturally, many elevators imbued with intelligence and precognition became terribly frustrated with the mindless business of going up and down, up and down, experimented briefly with the notion of going sideways, as a sort of existential protest, demanded participation in the decision-making process and finally took to squatting in basements sulking.