Monitor blanks out when starting Oolite (1.73.4)(Win)(Fixed)

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Sydney2K
Competent
Competent

Monitor blanks out when starting Oolite (1.73.4)(Win)(Fixed)

Post by Sydney2K »

I've been playing Oolite for awhile on my netbook and laptop, but now I have finally upgraded by home desktop it would be natural for me to install Oolite there. So I have installed the latest build (1.73.4) and gave it a go. Problem is, every time I try to run Oolite the screen blanks out, and although Windows is still running, I can't reset the monitor to redisplay. I end up having to reset the computer (and get that blue screen telling me that Windows wasn't properly shut down, and would I like to start Windows in safe mode?)

Any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem? I have done a forum search (on "screen" and "monitor") but no one seems to have posted a similar request for help.

O/S: 64bit Windows 7 Professional
Video card and driver version: ATI Radeon 3850 256M/b, V8.681.0.0D (latest)
Processor: (forgot to look it up- at work ATM)
Memory: (ditto)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hi Sydney2K, and welcome to the boards.. :D Are you a fellow Aussie? I'm in Brisbane..

You may find that starting Oolite with the -nosplash switch will fix things.. see this thread for more details..

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7721
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Sydney2K
Competent
Competent

Post by Sydney2K »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Hi Sydney2K, and welcome to the boards.. :D Are you a fellow Aussie? I'm in Brisbane..
I'm an expat actually... an Aussie somewhere between the stars in galaxy sector 1...
You may find that starting Oolite with the -nosplash switch will fix things.. see this thread for more details..
Thanks, that worked a treat! I do have a question though, why would the 'splash' page (if indeed it's called that) cause these problems?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Without digging around the forum for the gory details, as far as I can recall, some graphics cards fail to switch graphics modes after displaying the Oolite splash screen. Bypassing the splash screen and going directly to the graphics mode for running Oolite avoids the problem..

(Expat where, if you don't mind me asking? You seem to be in a similar timezone, so I'm guessing somewhere in Asia..)

Also, re searching the forum, the built-in phpBB search function is pretty woeful.. you can download a browser plugin that lets you search the Oolite Forum using Google, which makes it much easier to find things.. see this thread.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Sydney2K
Competent
Competent

Post by Sydney2K »

Diziet Sma wrote:
(Expat where, if you don't mind me asking? You seem to be in a similar timezone, so I'm guessing somewhere in Asia..)
It was a joke, I was joking about being an Aussie expat in the Oolite universe. Actually I am in Canberra :)
Last edited by Sydney2K on Tue May 04, 2010 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

:lol: