Testers needed for OXP Central Database!

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Testers needed for OXP Central Database!

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ok people, I know you've been waiting to hear this.. :lol:

The centralised OXP database is getting closer to being a reality. :D

I have made a decision regarding a Content Management System for OXPCentral.net (I am going with Drupal 6), and last night I registered the domain name. Currently I am working my way through several thousand Drupal plugin modules to decide which ones will best provide the functionality we want. I'm also going through manuals and tutorials getting to grips with Drupal.

Over the next two weeks or so I will build a functional beta site on my home server, which I then intend to deploy to my hosted server for testing.

At that point I will need 10-20 people ready to assist with testing functionality/features. Both oxp-developers and players will be required, developers may also conduct tests as players.

If you wish to participate, PM me with a contact email address, (tests will be easier to coordinate via group-emailings) and I will arrange for test webmail accounts to be allocated to you for site registration purposes.
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Yrol_Denjeah
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Yrol_Denjeah »

°imitates Princess Leia Organa and hands over a small datapad°
"General, count me in."
(in a cutely insane, electronic, stuttering female voice)
Are you Afraid? What is it you Fear?
The End of your Trivial Existence? Ha!
When the History of my Glory is written,
your Species shall only be a Footnote
to my Magnificence.
I am SHODAN.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thank you.. I was hoping you'd come on board, after your offer in another post..

Welcome. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Will this be a step into the direction of an automated oxp installer/updater option?

If yes, count me in.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yes, it certainly is a step in that direction.. Somebody else will need to code the auto installer/updater, but this project is capable of being the backend such a program will need.

PM me with an email addy, and I'll add you to the mailing-list.
Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phantom Hoover »

In what format will the entries be? Computer- or human-readable?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The main aim at this stage is to make the site human-friendly.. If you read through the thread where I first announced the project, you'll see the ideas that have been put forward so far.

So far as making it computer accessible, I'm not sure what would be required. Am I to take it that your question implies you might be interested in creating auto-installer/updater software?

If so, PM me and we can start hashing out some ideas.
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

OK, I'll help break test things for this. :)

PM sent.
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

I've started putting some stuff together for a local OXP manager (my proof of concept is working for me but way too rough to give out at this stage) with the eventual idea of also being able to pull down OXPs from the internet. Looks like you're doing the backend. Might be an idea to start talking about possible protocols and stuff. Not sure what you can do with Drupal in that area.

As for human vs machine readable - the ideal would be to have all the metadata for the OXPs accessible by both the local OXP Manager, as well as use it to generate the human-readable website. That way there's only one thing to maintain. We've had some discussion about possible file format and contents which I can forward.

Let me know.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thanks Micha..

Phantom Hoover is also doing work in this area.. it could be worthwhile checking with him as to what he's done.. you may be able to combine your efforts.. 8) So far as I recall, he's working in Python..

If you PM me with an email address, I'll add you to the testing-team mailing list, and we can begin work on integrating the manager app with the OXP repository..
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

What's happening with the site? It's been down for a few days now?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Any updates on this? I keep trying to hit it every few days, and am still getting messages about it being down for maintenance....