Additional galaxies

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

There are some interesting ideas here, but I still think that such a feature should best be kept aside for post-next stable. The level of gameplay changes it can bring is a bit too much, at a time when we are trying to minimize exactly this type of changes.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

I was not to clear in regard to the "back track" galaxy thing.

you would always end up in 1,9,17,25,33,41 and in 1
there is no going backward..

to get from 9 to 16 you would need the ordinary GH,

so lets presume you are in 9 and want to get back to 8..

you need to buy the special Equipment, and it takes you to galaxy 1, and now you need to GH 7 times to get to 8.

so the special equipment is a sort of enhanced galactic hyperdrive that takes you into the next octavers.. where you can GH the normal way..

is that carefully enough ?

edit

In hind sight, i forgot you can still go back and forth between for example 1 and 9... so the "special backward equipment should only be for sale in 8,16,24,32,48.. and point to the number before it
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Think I understand this:

But for clarity:

you need to buy the special Equipment, and it takes you to galaxy 1, and now you need to GH 7 times to get to 8.
And if you were in 10 and used the special equipment it would take you to Galaxy 2.

I still think this is too complicated and expensive for normal use, and as such should be used for special cases only (missions or like I said trade with thargoids.)

Question! Could you have special equipment that moved things left and right one step only. Thus adding 2x8 new galaxies, and changing would give a matrix like this:

17 < - > 1 < - > 9
18 < - > 2 < - > 10
19 < - > 3 < - > 11
20 < - > 4 < - > 12
21 < - > 5 < - > 13
22 < - > 6 < - > 14
23 < - > 7 < - > 15
24 < - > 8 < - > 16

But with no possibility to go between galaxies 9-15 or 17 -24 directly. This would allow for creating 2 sets of eight with a total of 24 galaxies (left and right of the original eight).
Things like legal status being wiped when going "side ways" would have to be taken care of.

My reason for asking is that I think that the proposed set-up with 48 galaxies and long round trips to get from a to b is to complicated and to big a playground to maintain the level of detail that has been built up for galaxy 1-8.

Just asking.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Gimi wrote:
Think I understand this:

But for clarity:

And if you were in 10 and used the special equipment it would take you to Galaxy 2.
No.

What he said was: wherever you use the special equipment within galaxies 9-16, it will take you to galaxy 1.

And wherever you use it in galaxies 1-8, it will take you to galaxy 9 and nowhere else.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Ok, got it. (I think)

Based on what frame said:
In hind sight, i forgot you can still go back and forth between for example 1 and 9... so the "special backward equipment should only be for sale in 8,16,24,32,48.. and point to the number before it
There would be one piece of special equipment to take you forward one octiverse and on to take you back one octiverse. Movement within the octiverse with normal GH

If you then are in "octiverse 4 galaxy 1" and want to go to "octiverse 1, galaxy 8" that is a long way to go costing a lot of money.

I'm a little slow sometimes, but this was not that easy to get a grip on. Have to say that my view above still stands. I don't think this approach is practical from a game-play perspective. But I might be wrong.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
tonyhippy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tonyhippy »

And perhaps the first ship you encounter in the new Octaverse would be a huge cube which send you a message " We are the Oorg! Resistance is FOotile!!"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I am actually not too keen on incorporating other existing SF-universes into Oolite, so the Oorg wouldn't do it for me.

Alternative idea: given the huge leap in scriptability Oolite made since Charlie left, perhaps it would be worthwhile to re-visit the whole Orb-concept, which didn't really work as he intended to in his OXP.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Commander McLane wrote:
I am actually not too keen on incorporating other existing SF-universes into Oolite, so the Oorg wouldn't do it for me.

Alternative idea: given the huge leap in scriptability Oolite made since Charlie left, perhaps it would be worthwhile to re-visit the whole Orb-concept, which didn't really work as he intended to in his OXP.
what did Charlie intend with his orbs.oxp, treat me as if I never knew of orbs.oxp.. which I admit I do not....

Edit
Note that I cannot download orbs as it is password protected, and the wiki mentiones that the download do not exist anymore
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

I've got an almost-fixed copy of Orbs: I might just be able to finish cleaning it up for 1.73.4 & upload it for the weekend. Don't hold your breath, though... :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Kaks wrote:
I've got an almost-fixed copy of Orbs: I might just be able to finish cleaning it up for 1.73.4 & upload it for the weekend. Don't hold your breath, though... :)
oh well its only been a couple of years ;-)

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p= ... ght=#48668

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

galaxyNumber is "unhappy" when set >7!

Post by Switeck »

Frame wrote:
I got a chart 9 working, (no equipment requirement yet), and it seems to work with save games...

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn18 ... chart9.jpg

What should I look for exactly in regard to breakage. ?
I was goofing around with hacked save games today explicitly for changing the galaxy chart number and galaxy seed numbers to create "additional" galaxy charts just to see where I could go with my superjumping OXP. (I was testing my ability to reach supposedly "unreachable" systems.)

A line like this:
swiJumpDis = System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, system.ID).distanceToSystem(System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber,swiLastJump));
...generated an error, saying galaxyNumber could only be from 0-7.
Regular jumps still work as does any equipment that doesn't need/use the galaxyNumber.

I am reworking my simpler galaxy-hopping OXP to work around this problem. It probably won't be checking distances and definitely won't be plotting jump routes in Galaxy Charts "9" and up.
If player.ship.targetSystem can also work with .galaxyCoordinatesInLY.x and .galaxyCoordinatesInLY.y then I can brute-force calculate the distances between system.ID and player.ship.targetSystem , but that may not work going from and/or to interstellar space. Yet another condition to avoid. :lol:

player.ship.targetSystem does not work with .galaxyCoordinatesInLY or .coordinates
system.info.systemsInRange(); might work for returning if the targeted system is within range, but that would be messier. :(

system.info.systemsInRange(x) ALSO does not work in Gal. Charts beyond 1-8, though the error message is a little more cryptic than when trying to plot a route using this:
System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber, system.ID).distanceToSystem(System.infoForSystem(galaxyNumber,player.ship.targetSystem));
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Additional galaxies

Post by Zireael »

I wonder - was the additional equipment suggested here ever released? I like the screenshot of Gal 9. Does it work?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Additional galaxies

Post by Switeck »

Zireael wrote:
I wonder - was the additional equipment suggested here ever released? I like the screenshot of Gal 9. Does it work?
A savegame hacked to be in Galaxy Chart 9 works ok by itself, however there is no equipment (OXP or interlinks in the game) that can set your current location to any Galaxy Chart past 1-8.
Also, many sorts of equipment and missions OXPs cannot handle being in a Galaxy Chart past 1-8.

For my simple galaxy-hopping OXP, it now returns this message when past Gal. Chart 8:
"Outside known space! No matching Star Charts found! Route planner nonfunctional! Only short-ranged (0-7 LY) jumps possible!"

The galaxy-hopping OXP is a cheat I use to get around the map for free. I use it all the time in testing missions and my other OXPs. Totally defeats the point of buying fuel or regular hyperspace jumps, so I'm not likely to release it. Okti released Long Range Target Scanner OXP which does more than just jumps, but it too suffers the same problems beyond Gal. Chart 8.