Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Adding an 'AddOns' folder in Ubuntu Karmic

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phantom Hoover »

For those Linux users who can't use a command line and don't understand such esotericity as hidden files, couldn't a convenient symlink be created somewhere?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Since I started this thread (a long time ago it seems now), I have re-installed, as it became clear that my installation of the time was a Dog's breakfast. It was an old version and hadn't been installed properly (by Me!)
Since re-installing everything has been fine, and I have an AddOns folder in the Home directory where it should be.
Phantom Hoover wrote:
For those Linux users who can't use a command line and don't understand such esotericity as hidden files, couldn't a convenient symlink be created somewhere?
Phantom Hoover, hidden files are just hidden to keep things tidy, and are dead easy to access. I use Ubuntu and to find and access the AddOns folder, click 'Places', then 'Home Folder', then go to 'View', and you'll see 'Show Hidden Files' in the drop down. Click it and you'll find a folder called 'Oolite' amongst the hidden files now visible. The AddOns folder is in there. Hope this helps.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
McDjanoff
Competent
Competent

Post by McDjanoff »

Hello,

Well about this :
Phantom Hoover wrote:
Normally you may use a file managers to do this, but you have to learn some little basics about Unices systems : RTFM !

I think also that 'home directory' isn't the good place for OXP as each system's users have to deploy them.

This is the structure I use :

All oxps installed on the system are deployed in the following directory
/usr/share/games/Oolite/AddOns/

Then in the users home directory some symbolic links are created on oxps directories the player want to use as follow:

~/.OolOolite/AddOns/extension.oxp -> /usr/share/games/Oolite/AddOns/extension.oxp

Regards,
B.
"In the space bar, the barbarians of all races"
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Ideally we'd want some sort of OXP manager which can download and install the OXPs into a system area, and then allow each user to enable or disable them. This idea has been bandied about a few times but so far not much has come of it.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phantom Hoover »

Micha wrote:
Ideally we'd want some sort of OXP manager which can download and install the OXPs into a system area, and then allow each user to enable or disable them. This idea has been bandied about a few times but so far not much has come of it.
It wouldn't be that hard with a shell script and an online table of OXP download locations.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Not sure Id agree that it wouldnt be that hard, there is at least one serious problem: There is no common versioning information, so its impossible to tell when a new version is released

There are all kinds of other things like there isnt really an agreed list of OXPs. I guess you could build the info from looking at the wiki, but not all OXPs are added there.

You also really want a way to enable and disable OXPs. You could probably work around it by moving them in and out (symlinking?) the AddOns folder but its not hugely elegant.

What about sorting out compatabilities and dependencies between OXPs?
Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phantom Hoover »

Well, yes: it would need plenty of infrastructure. Enabling and disabling of OXPs is as simple as renaming them to strip the ".oxp" from the end. It would probably be possible to compile a list of OXPs on the wiki, including dependencies and conflicts; each OXP would have a subpage of the OXP list, and MediaWiki's own API could be used to generate the list of names. A common archive structure would help, too; since an archive containing a readme and the OXP seems common, I suggest that.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Good luck with that.