free file sharing sites

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

free file sharing sites

Post by JazHaz »

Like a few of you I've been using Box.net for file sharing, however their free account has a limit of 25mb I believe.

Need to share some videos with some colleagues, but the videos are over 25mb in size. They're not for public release so I can't just put them onto YouTube!

Anyway, did a Google search for "file sharing", and found this site: http://www.4shared.com/

They have a free account, however unlike Box.net, their limit is a whopping 10 gb (200 mb individual file limit)!

One thing thats not so good, is a 30 day limit between logins. Similar to Mediafire that ADCK uses I believe.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I think you can opt to keep videos on youtube private.. not certain though..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

There's also Opera Unite, which allows you to share content directly from your own computer without having to upload anything to any website.
I've not yet used it myself, so I cannot tell you anything beyond what it says on the self-promoting/instruction pages.

On a slight tangent: With the Wiki being down, I've been toying with the idea of using this feature to set up an alternative repository for OXPs. I keep a local copy of the zipfile of the OXPs I've downloaded, and my computer is usually left on if not 24/7, then close to it. Too much work and not enough sleep has so far precluded me from doing anything more than toying.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

As you mentioned in your opening post, I use mediafire for files over 25Mb, it has a 200Mb file limit, but 60 days of inactivity deletes the file.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

People, for box.net I pay around 10 euro the month, and I can have a file any whooping size I want up to I think 10GB, and I can have up to 10GB of files and as much download traffic as I want, too, or does it stop at 150 or 200GB worth of downloads?

So I think anyone who doesn't need something beyond these dimensions is well served with the box.net.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by JazHaz »

Lestradae wrote:
for box.net I pay around 10 euro the month
Ah, but the thread title specifies free file sharing sites! :wink:

I've not got enough money to spend on food let alone 10 euros for box.net! :x
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Lestradae »

JazHaz wrote:
I've not got enough money to spend on food let alone 10 euros for box.net! :x
Whoops, sorry to hear that :(

Hm, I would offer some space on my box.net account as long as the total of the files doesn't cross the 2-3 GB line and downloads don't go into the 100GB a month region, then.

Does that help?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

No thats fine L, as I went for the 4shared.com free account to share those vids. And the people that needed them have now downloaded them, so it worked well for what I needed it for. Will probably let the membership lapse now, as I don't intend to use it for anything else.

It is a useful way of getting files to people when there are email file attachment limits.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.