Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Optical zoom, and drop beacons

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Illuminaughty
Average
Average

Optical zoom, and drop beacons

Post by Illuminaughty »

Just two items of equipment I wish I could get or code myself, but I'm still just starting to figure this out, so if I have to do it myself it may take a while to see.

I'd like to be able to zoom in on things on the screen, because I play on my netbook and it's kind of a small display.

I'd like to be able to drop a beacon when I find asteroids without a beacon, so I can easily come back, if I have to leave a lot of asteroids unscooped. I've already installed the rock hermit locator, so a lot of asteroids do have beacons.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Optical zoom, and drop beacons

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Illuminaughty wrote:
Just two items of equipment I wish I could get or code myself, but I'm still just starting to figure this out, so if I have to do it myself it may take a while to see.

I'd like to be able to zoom in on things on the screen, because I play on my netbook and it's kind of a small display.

I'd like to be able to drop a beacon when I find asteroids without a beacon, so I can easily come back, if I have to leave a lot of asteroids unscooped. I've already installed the rock hermit locator, so a lot of asteroids do have beacons.
Welcome to the Forums! Zoom has been requested before - it would require a code change and therefore is a non-starter (at the moment, possibly ever).

The beacons you suggest already exist but I can't point you to them because the wiki is down... ( :oops: )
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
The beacons you suggest already exist but I can't point you to them because the wiki is down... ( :oops: )
Do they? I know beacons to attract police do (distress signals or somesuch), but I don't recall launchable "place-marker" beacons existing. But they'd be very simple to code up - if they don't exist they can certainly be made to do so.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thargoid wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Do they? I know beacons to attract police do (distress signals or somesuch), but I don't recall launchable "place-marker" beacons existing. But they'd be very simple to code up - if they don't exist they can certainly be made to do so.
I thought that was what the ETT Homing beacon was supposed to do?

As discussed in this thread: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... b001a133a9
Selezen wrote:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
You are thinking at: ettBeaconLauncher.oxp
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

So they are. Obviously my memory isn't what it used to be, although I forget what that was ;)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thargoid wrote:
So they are. Obviously my memory isn't what it used to be, although I forget what that was ;)
:) Sometimes I get mixed up by a good idea that comes to naught and things which turn out to actually exist - glad I was right on this occasion though!
Selezen wrote:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The ETT Homing Beacon is actually a quite old OXP (it existed already when I joined the boards, and I made my very first post about it). It used to be on node 74 of Oosat 2, but it isn't there anymore. Seems that the server crash which brought down the Elite Wiki also affected some parts (though not all) of the archived Oosat 2 under oldsat.alioth.net.

You can still find its Oosat 2 entry on the wayback machine under http://web.archive.org/web/200701201644 ... lioth.net/ but it seems the ZIP isn't archived along with it.

ouklos fixed a few problems with the OXP quite recently. Maybe he can be asked to re-upload it. Here's the thread: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7446
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

If you use the cached page from google (the first cached link if you look for 'site:wiki.alioth.net oxp' in google) you'll get the proper - still working - link ( http://oosat.alioth.net/files/ettBeaconLauncher.zip )

IIRC the wayback machine changes all links inside a page to point to its own servers...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)