Standard Missions Order?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Standard Missions Order?

Post by JazHaz »

Do the standard missions have to be done in order?

This has been asked on the Oolite! Even better than the real thing Facebook group.

I put up a photo of the end of the Nova mission:

And now someone is asking if they can go to Galaxy 4 and do the mission without having done the Constrictor mission...? It's probably not a good idea to do it, but is this possible?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

As far as I know, the nova mission isn't dependent on anything but being in the right galaxy in a suitably equipped ship, so it should be possible.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Yes, it is possible. Each mission has its own trigger conditions. However, to be able to go to G4 and do Nova, you must be in position to purchase three galactic hyperdrives (actually four, if you consider that you need to be carrying one for the mission to trigger). Before being able to collect this amount of cash, you will have made enough kills to trigger some of the other missions and this is why it appears that they come in order.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Standard Missions Order?

Post by Eric Walch »

JazHaz wrote:
And now someone is asking if they can go to Galaxy 4 and do the mission without having done the Constrictor mission...? It's probably not a good idea to do it, but is this possible?
Its quite possible. Actually it is the way I did things in the past: Somewhere during the constrictor hunt I pressed the "G-key" instead of the intended "H-key" and I ended up in galaxy 3. So I went onwards to Galaxy 7, did the assaissain.oxp missions and went up do do a full galactic circle. All that time the mission briefing reminded me of the unfulfilled constrictor mission. Back in G2 I finally found him.
The constrictor mission is of course intended as a starting mission, so after finishing assassains.oxp, the kill was a bit of a joke. :P
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

All in-built missions are independent of each other, except the two you are doing for "Her Imperial Majesty's Navy". The second is sort of a follow-up on the first, so you only will get it if you successfully completed the first.

The rest is only kind of sorted by the galaxies it takes place in. But it is entirely possible to miss one, if you're climbing the "galaxy-ladder" really fast. Each of the missions requires you to have made at least a couple of jumps in its respective galaxy.