Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Nightly trunk builds....

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Nightly trunk builds....

Post by bigmike20vt »

OK i am currently running the latest "stable" release, and i have to say i am getting very jealous with you guys with your swanky new nightly builds.

so much so i have not even downloaded them as i know i would want to stick with em.

however looking at the progress it sounds like it is getting there now.

i know the official line is this is for testing only, however, i have 2 questions.

1) to users of the new build... is it realistically playable instead of the older stable release

2) to the devs.... if i was to use the nightly build as my playable game, when it officially gets released, will the nightly build save still work on it, or will it be incompatible?

cheers (and as ever good work to everyone)

M.
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Nightly trunk builds....

Post by another_commander »

bigmike20vt wrote:
2) to the devs.... if i was to use the nightly build as my playable game, when it officially gets released, will the nightly build save still work on it, or will it be incompatible?
All saved games are compatible between versions of the game. The answer to your question is yes, the nightly build savegame will work on 1.74 when it gets released.

Edit: The first question is a bit tricky though. Even if you are told that today the trunk is fully stable and playable, this does not necessarily mean that it will be the same also tomorrow.
bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

cool thanks for thereply.

i may give it a go :)
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I play on a development version and didn't not run into anything yet. So yes its playable.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

bigmike20vt wrote:
OK i am currently running the latest "stable" release, and i have to say i am getting very jealous with you guys with your swanky new nightly builds.
is it realistically playable instead of the older stable release
Umm.. by "stable", I take it you're referring to the latest "testing" release, 1.73.4, and not the last "stable" release, which is 1.65. If you're using 1.65, you ought to upgrade in any case.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

bigmike20vt wrote:

i know the official line is this is for testing only, however, i have 2 questions.

1) to users of the new build... is it realistically playable instead of the older stable release

M.
I have been running nightly builds for about 3 weeks now, updating it sporadically but often. So far I have had ONE crash, and as far as I can see in the log that was owing to my graphics driver, and I have been unable to recreate it even though I have tried. I run a whole bunch of OXP's. With trunk there will be some OXP's that won't work (I have found 4) and need updating, but the program will tell you and bypass them. I also keep 1.73.4 installed (Latest test release) and update it with the OXP's I am running. This way, if trunk fails, I can just switch and continue playing.

I know this is not fail-safe, but so far no problem. If you are above average computer literate (and I suspect most if not all in this forum are), then go and try out the nightly builds. Remember to report any problems you might find.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Me too, I am playing version 1.74. on windows.
With trunk there will be some OXP's that won't work (I have found 4) and need updating, but the program will tell you and bypass them
so cool. (Asteroid Storms for me :( )

There was one trunk version that crashed randomly for me (was fixed like the next day), but then again it was no problem at all to revert to the older version for playing.
(I have about 6 different versions now, always copying the "trunk" folder. I need to clean that D: partition some day.)

The one thing that kind of keeps me from always playing the latest trunk is keeping track of what files I need to copy from where : OXPs, altered OXP config files, altered Oolite config files, the GNUStep, and so on.

I am also not sure about what files exactly from trunk build are necessary to copy into a copy of my "play_1.74" folder as to not run into compatability issues and what not.

I usually do not copy the .svn, *assets, debian, src, deps and src folders, but for the rest I am not sure.
------------------------
but overall -
If you are above average computer literate
I think you do not need to be "above average", with the clear and easy to follow instructions here aboard. (windows user, that is.)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

snork wrote:
With trunk there will be some OXP's that won't work (I have found 4) and need updating, but the program will tell you and bypass them
so cool. (Asteroid Storms for me :( )
Most of them are already adapted for 1.74 and waiting for an official 1.74 release. Some, like future Asteroid Storm, you can find here

And when the old oxp uses an max version of 1.73.99 and the new one a minimum version of 1.74.0, you can leave both oxp's installed. The Oolite version you start up will choose the oxp version it needs.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

snork wrote:
The one thing that kind of keeps me from always playing the latest trunk is keeping track of what files I need to copy from where : OXPs, altered OXP config files, altered Oolite config files, the GNUStep, and so on.

I am also not sure about what files exactly from trunk build are necessary to copy into a copy of my "play_1.74" folder as to not run into compatability issues and what not.

I usually do not copy the .svn, *assets, debian, src, deps and src folders, but for the rest I am not sure.
In generally I don't modify much, and if I do I keep a copy of all modifications in separate folders using notepad++ plugins to keep track of changes. This way, its is mainly a quick comparison in notepad++ for changes and then copy and paste. But, as I said, I don't change much anyway.
snork wrote:
but overall -
If you are above average computer literate
I think you do not need to be "above average", with the clear and easy to follow instructions here aboard. (windows user, that is.)
This was just my disclaimer. Playing around with "alpha" software, you need to know how to at least clean up if something goes wrong. So far I've had no problems at all apart from the odd OXP not working (which was solved in my case by the link posted by Eric Walch.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).