In-game text not readable

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Bodkin
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

In-game text not readable

Post by Bodkin »

Hi everyone,

I hate to introduce myself this way, but I'm so eager to get started in this game, you have no idea. I don't know how it's been around for so long without my knowing about it.

I am unable to view any graphical text in this game -- similar to the fellow with subject line "No graphical text (solved)." In a nutshell, the in-game text can't be read at all; it's all just undifferentiated rectangles of color. The shading on the cobra on the title screen is all but impossible to discern; it's pretty much just solid white. Oh, if only his solution (updating his driver) worked for me, but it doesn't. My card (Radeon X1600) does not appear to have any updates available beyond my current level.

I don't think I got a bad install of my driver, because upgrading to the current version helped me run The Witcher successfully when it had previously been broken. (In case it helps in any way, I'm running driver version 8.421.0.0, dated 9/29/2007, on Windows XP SP3, and I can't find a newer version.) I don't know when Oolite 1.73.4 came along, but my driver is dated later than the release of 1.65, so I hope the oldness of it is not a problem.

Anyway. Now I'm just looking for workarounds. Is there maybe a way to modify a config file to turn off shading or any other bells-n-whistles? I'm too much the clueless noob to know where to begin. I sure don't want to go buy a new graphics adapter merely on the hope that it will make this game playable.

Thanks a million for any help anyone can give, and thanks especially for making this game!
Bodkin
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Bodkin »

A quick update on that: I downloaded 1.65 and it works and looks beautiful. I'd still really love to be able to use the features of 1.73.4 of course, so I remain willing to try anything that's suggested.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Try to modify your startup shortcut by adding the -nosplash switch. This should bypass the splash screen while loading and, in theory, result in correct graphics.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Welcome to the friendliest board on this side of Reidquat!™

A_C is right. Add -nosplash to your program location should sort you out.

On Windows it looks like this:

JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: In-game text not readable

Post by Diziet Sma »

Bodkin wrote:
(In case it helps in any way, I'm running driver version 8.421.0.0, dated 9/29/2007, on Windows XP SP3, and I can't find a newer version.) I don't know when Oolite 1.73.4 came along, but my driver is dated later than the release of 1.65, so I hope the oldness of it is not a problem.
Hi Bodkin, and welcome!

To be honest, your driver version is kinda ancient. You need to go to http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx to get an update. I've just checked, and the catalyst 10.2 drivers (8.593.100.100210a dated 10 Feb 2010) are available for your x1600.

That ought to fix things for you. :D

Edit: Here's a direct link to the page with your drivers. Get the full Catalyst package, it gives you more control over your cards' settings. (For example, you may want to boost the screen gamma a bit to see shadered ships more clearly)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Bodkin
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Bodkin »

Thanks everyone -- it looks good now. For the record, it looks like the solution required both suggestions: the driver update and -nosplash.

I was obviously doin it wrong when I looked for driver updates, because all I found was a utility from ATI that ran, and then told me no updates were possible. Didn't know about that Legacy thing.

Thanks again!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Bodkin wrote:
Thanks everyone -- it looks good now. For the record, it looks like the solution required both suggestions: the driver update and -nosplash.

I was obviously doin it wrong when I looked for driver updates, because all I found was a utility from ATI that ran, and then told me no updates were possible. Didn't know about that Legacy thing.

Thanks again!
That's good to know you got it working. I'm guessing that the ATI utility failed because ATI has now been taken over by AMD. The first link I gave you takes you to the AMD drivers home page, from where you will always be able to find current drivers (I recommend that you bookmark it). Apparently 10.3 will be out soon, which hopefully will resolve a few lingering problems.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied