Obj2datTexNorm.py & Reversing letters & Winding... A

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Obj2datTexNorm.py & Reversing letters & Winding... A

Post by Frame »

I have a sign that simply says B and the letter comes out reversed, in Oolite. using either the old obj2dattex.py or the explicit normals

I seem to be pretty sure that this used to be showed correctly.

Especially when we look at the worm with the text worm and the transporter.(that where made which I assume some ancient obj2dat tool)

I can however not get this show up correctly unless I flip the UV coordinates horizontally in my Model editor(which is a pain in some cases)

and I'm tempted to mess with this setting in the py script

Code: Select all

# negate x value for vertex to allow correct texturing...
				x = -float(tokens[1])
Is this even needed any more ?, if Ahruman: your fixing of the winding actually made this obsolete...

Or is it just me remembering wrong, so that we always had to reverse our letters.. then why not on the worm mining vessel and transporter ?

Cheers Frame
Last edited by Frame on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yes, the letters were always reversed (has something to do with the x-axis being inverted in Oolite, if compared to Wings etc.). I think only the new obj2dat.py finally fixes that.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Commander McLane wrote:
Yes, the letters were always reversed (has something to do with the x-axis being inverted in Oolite, if compared to Wings etc.). I think only the new obj2dat.py finally fixes that.

While I see I missed some words above, the thing is.. I am using the latest Unmodified Explicit Normals Python Script..

And The letters are coming out reversed... But Thank you for clearing my memory in regard to the reversed letters... :)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

hmm seems it is winding my sign the wrong way.. hence the reversed letters. I had two of these mirrored.. so only caught it after adding the "walls" where to sign should stick onto..

It all makes sense now... its the internal winding thingi that is responsible.. however i can understand why it is doing it since the sign is a simple plane with 4 vertexes, however the sign is tilted acros the X Y and Z axis...

like this

dat file vertex data

Code: Select all

31.24579,-47.08786, 50.37637
-31.24564, 47.08800,-50.37636
-11.04740, 47.08768, 50.01768
 11.04775,-47.08798,-50.01780
I thought that maybe the explicit normals would point the winding in the correct direction... So I must move everything into the positive side of things and hope for correct winding..

Cheers Frame
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Frame wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:

While I see I missed some words above, the thing is.. I am using the latest Unmodified Explicit Normals Python Script..

And The letters are coming out reversed... But Thank you for clearing my memory in regard to the reversed letters... :)
I had a similar problem with the new python scripts while working with the Dredgers. The script corrects for Oolites need of getting the model flipped so you can work normal textures. But as all my dredger textures were mirrored I had to change the script a bit so I could keep using my old wings files. The script needs an alteration in two places when you want to work with old, mirrored textures
Maybe that information should be placed inside the script so others also can easily flip the working by negating a commented variable?