Griff ships with player-defined decals

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

Its the test release I'm using (1.73.4). I'll double check all the text and the filenames but I'm pretty sure its all fine. I did also hold down shift too when testing.

Hmm, ah well. I have a big darts knockout final tonight so I wont be able to tinker until tomorrow night again.

I'll have another look and report back. I would imagine its me! :oops:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Probably a daft question: which text editor are you using?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

if you can't get it working and you're fed up of investigating, post up the decal on the forum and i'll have a look at it in rendermonkey as maybe it's placement settings might need changing. actually, check the decal_position and rotation settings in the shipdata.plist haven't changed too much, eg, this stuff:

Code: Select all

Decal1_Scale_and_Position = { type = vector; value = "0.505 0.305 13.2"; };
Decal1_Rotation = { type = "float"; value = -1.63186; };
Decal2_Scale_and_Position = { type = vector; value = "0.150 0.305 13.2"; };
Decal2_Rotation = { type = "float"; value = 1.60960; };	
even small changes to these numbers can have the decal sliding off the hull and appearing on the underside of the ship or something odd!
in the Scale_and_Position settings, the first 2 numbers are the position settings and the 3rd number is the decal size (smaller numbers make for bigger decals)
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

I'm using wordpad I think. I've always used it in the past for editing plists etc and its been fine.

Thanks for the offer Griff. I'll keep trying myself for the moment as I dont want to hold you up on trivial things whenyou could be doing more great work! :lol: :D :wink:

Like I said before Im pretty much 100% sure I didnt adjust any settings or change file names.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Wordpad should be alright… as long as it’s not Notepad (Notepad = evil). However, I’d recommend that you download Notepad++ (freeware) and use that, it’s so much better.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

I got myself Notepad++ and Gimp. Very nice!

Well, I solved the problem. I wasn't using 1.73.4, I was using 1.73 :oops: Once I'd reinstalled all seemed to work fine. I've made my decal up and I'll post it up soon!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Good, good and good!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

By the way, if people are looking for quick ways to make their own decals, you could do worse than check out some of the free dingbat fonts on offer here: http://www.dafont.com/

There's a wide range on offer, from the cool and nifty to the totally inappropriate ...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wow.. that is an awesome resource, Disembodied! Thanks!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

After downloading a bunch of fonts from http://www.dafont.com/ as linked to by Disembodied, I kinda went crazy making decals from some of the more interesting ones.. in the end, I wound up with 40 decals, so I've decided to release them as a Decal Pack.

They are all in 256x256 PNG format, in plain black on a transparent background. To use, rename the decal of your choice to griff_player_decal.png and place it in the relevant Textures folder. Instructions are provided in the enclosed Readme file, or just see above in this thread.

Here are contact sheets of the decals in the pack:

(The Diziet Sma decal is really just to show a sample of the text available in the Space Encounter font. I can create decals to order using this font if requested.)

This Decal pack is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-commercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.

It can be downloaded from http://s248731467.onlinehome.us/Griff/DecalPack-1.zip File size is 358Kb.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Diziet Sma wrote:
They are all in 256x256 PNG format, in plain black on a transparent background.
Will plain black show up on the ships? Especially with a transparent background?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

JazHaz wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
They are all in 256x256 PNG format, in plain black on a transparent background.
Will plain black show up on the ships? Especially with a transparent background?
Yep.. no worries.. also, it's easy to change the colour if you want something other than black.. multiple colours work well too..

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Can you do part transparency or do they have to be fully transparent (or not) - just thinking that it would be good to scuff the edges of the decal by increasing transparency at the extremes - fair-wear-and-tear kind of thing.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody

Post by Cody »

Ooh! I like that Diz... in crimson it would look lovely.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Can you do part transparency or do they have to be fully transparent (or not) - just thinking that it would be good to scuff the edges of the decal by increasing transparency at the extremes - fair-wear-and-tear kind of thing.
Yes, as (I think) mentioned by Griff earlier in the thread, PNG files support varying degrees of transparency, so what you want would be easy to add.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied