Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Constrictor Mission

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

I don't know, but you should be able to edit the savegame to reflect your previous forthcoming, should it not be compatible after all.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I’m sure that your save game from 1.65 will work in 1.73.4; my main commander started out as a vanilla Jameson in 1.65 and has gone through all the versions in between.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cryptotheslow
Average
Average

Post by cryptotheslow »

OK - I guess as long as I copy it out, if all goes TU I can put it back and revert anyway.

All good.

p.s. Back on topic - not had any time to continue the Constrictor hunt yet. Tired as hell and I know if I start I'll still be planet hopping come 4am... just one more... just one more... seems I learnt something in 25 years :roll:
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

cryptotheslow wrote:
Back on topic - not had any time to continue the Constrictor hunt yet. Tired as hell and I know if I start I'll still be planet hopping come 4am... just one more... just one more... seems I learnt something in 25 years :roll:
Hehe, I've done that a few times lately! But as I'm unemployed there's nothing to get up for!! :roll: :wink:
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

cryptotheslow wrote:
The options I have on the F2 menu are to turn Reduced Detail to ON....and Reset to strict gameplay
I am using Oolite v1.73.4

At start-up:
click on Oolite icon (mssg: "populating space…")
mssg: "Load Previous Commander (Y/N)?" press "Y"
(a list of any saved games appears - DON'T select a saved game) press f2
(a list of options appears) scroll down to "Game Options…" press Return
scroll down to "Wireframe Graphics: Off"
press RIGHT cursor arrow on keyboard to change to "On"
scroll down to "Back" press return & select commander in usual way.

In flight:
Press "P" (to pause game)
Press f2
Scroll down to "Game Options…" and press Return
Scroll down to "Wireframe Graphics" and toggle between "Off" & "On" using Left & Right cursor arrows on keyboard
Once desired setting is achieved, press "P" to un-pause game

..however I can't remember if wireframe graphics were available in v1.65 (I thought so, but maybe not)

STRICT GAMEPLAY
In the original Elite, which I mainly played on a BBC model B with a floppy disk reader, I am sure that Fuel Injectors were available (they aren't an option in Strict Mode or at any rate n/a @ Zaonce).
I also thought that it was possible to buy other ships carrying more cargo, but might be having a false memory re. shipyards.

Or maybe the disk version of Elite had more options than the cassette-loading version (or by the time we bought a FD drive a different version of Elite was out? at any rate "Disk Elite" was slightly different from "Elite")

But I'm sure fuel injectors were available on both versions (and am happy to be corrected if not) :)
Cody

Post by Cody »

I originally played Elite on the BBC with a 5.25 floppy disk.
I don't recall any fuel injectors or buying other ships... but that may be my false memory. It's a long time ago now.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

that was a rapid reply :o thank-you

so I'll forget about other ships (we might have hacked the thing) but continue to remember fuel injectors (for the time being)

I meant to mention before that a game started in strict mode can't be opened later in Oolite mode, and a commander saved in normal Oolite mode won't open in Strict mode, even if it is a std ship with no OXP eqpt; well it will open, but not in strict mode (game reverts to normal Oolite mode).
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

El Viejo wrote:
I originally played Elite on the BBC with a 5.25 floppy disk.
I don't recall any fuel injectors or buying other ships... but that may be my false memory. It's a long time ago now.
I'm pretty sure injectors weren't introduced until the 16bit versions (ST & Amiga) and then not as they are here, only as retro rockets where you could thrust backwards out of trouble.

It was definately not in the BBC versions (tape or disk).
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
cryptotheslow
Average
Average

Post by cryptotheslow »

1.65 doesn't have that wire-frame option :)

I don't think the Spectrum version had the injection system - and IIRC the jump drive (now in by default using J) was an upgrade you had to buy. I also don't think you could change ships either.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
In the original Elite, which I mainly played on a BBC model B with a floppy disk reader, I am sure that Fuel Injectors were available (they aren't an option in Strict Mode or at any rate n/a @ Zaonce).
I also thought that it was possible to buy other ships carrying more cargo, but might be having a false memory re. shipyards.
Definitely false memories here. In no version of Elite were Fuel Injectors available (and Retro Rockets are simply a different thing), and in no version of Elite did a shipyard exist. Both are inventions of Oolite, and therefore diabled in strict mode.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Commander McLane wrote:
Definitely false memories here. In no version of Elite were Fuel Injectors available (and Retro Rockets are simply a different thing), and in no version of Elite did a shipyard exist. Both are inventions of Oolite, and therefore diabled in strict mode.
I think what is confusing people is Frontier and FFE, where such things came in for the first time.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

OK thank-you all my false memory experience is expunged :)
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

meanwhile, back at the Constrictor mission.. .. ..

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Recently I purchased a basic Adder and set off on my domination of the Galaxies with a hundred credits and a vile scowl happy smile. The bank balance eventually permitted my purchase of a lovely blue Mosquito Trader, and off I zoomed straight into the jaws of the stolen Constrictor.

I've shot it up several times, and even captured its pilot (along with another escape pod and several t of narcotics that were floating around). No other cargo has appeared. Earlier engagements with stolen Navy Constrictors were using v1.65 -- are the conditions the same for v1.73.4 Constrictor mission?

edit: still at it, the Constrictor is waiting at a w beacon, it is unaccompanied, it's described as "Constrictor" (not "stolen Constrictor") by scanner/target enhancement & its status is "Fugitive"

I have shot it chased it missiled it (to weaken its shields) run it out of fuel so it can't zip off as I'm about to shoot it & then shot it a bit (wait for sparks) shoot it some more (wait for sparks to subside) shoot, shoot -- eventually it blows up but does not eject any cargo pods, and only once has escape-podded out..

Previously I found the stolen Constrictor accompanied by another ship or two (Asps?) not stationary by the w beacon and although I can now keep up with its manoeuvrings, wear it down & shoot it, I cannot get any other response from it other than to rush away (with me chasing + shooting) or to turn & shoot me (occasionally missiling me, too); I shoot back. Is this the right Constrictor? I'd assume there was only one in the area: the stolen one.

I have these OXP's installed at present:
Fuel Tank v2.1.oxp
Gebiisso.oxp*
marett_vol1_b.oxp
PlanetFall 1.23.oxp

*testing this at present, all it does is add several moons to another galaxy, but have tried with it taken out, too -- still can't progress with Constrictor mission!
Cody

Post by Cody »

I think that you're getting your missions mixed up, ZZ.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

El Viejo wrote:
..mixed up
:) hello - and yes I'm sure I am. Thanks for reassuring me I will shoot the thing and move on

Cheers