Escape Capsules

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Escape Capsules

Post by Killer Wolf »

I keep thinking the trip ends fairly suddenly if you eject : you warp straight into the docking bay, whereas NPCs head off to the planet and you've a chance to scoop them. woul dit be possible to have the same for the player? you eject and get a simplified craft/HUD and have to fly to the station and dock yourself. you'd get to see your pride and joy as a ruined hulk drifting in space and on the way there'd be a chance of getting scooped/docked from a civilian or scooped/shot by a pirate (game over).
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Interesting idea.. makes sense, too..

Might it be do-able as an OXP?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Interesting idea.. makes sense, too..

Might it be do-able as an OXP?
Agree - nice idea - but doesn't it break one of Oolite's rules:

"Thou shalt not "own" or have the ability to transfer to another ship unless purchased"

(So the OXP I think would have to auto-magically and invisibly - move you to the station - sell your current ship, buy an escape pod, move you back to your previous location and after docking, sell the escape pod and re-buy an identical ship sans escape pod)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hey.. I PAID for that capsule, I already "own" it.. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I see what you mean though, DH... on the other hand.. if you've abandoned ship, does Oolite still consider the ship to be "you", even though it's (probably) been destroyed?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Hey.. I PAID for that capsule, I already "own" it.. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I see what you mean though, DH... on the other hand.. if you've abandoned ship, does Oolite still consider the ship to be "you", even though it's (probably) been destroyed?
I think the escape pod moment is basically a "cut scene" between being in your ship and erm, being in your ship again
Selezen wrote:
Hemlock
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hemlock »

I always think of the Escape Pod as a Cryogenic Capsule which whisks me off by Advanced Auto Pilot to the nearest safe station.

The insurance then provides for my defrosting and ship replacement.

Well it works for me :D
Commander Hemlock
Commander Trigg
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Trigg »

Perhaps this could be worked out as a mini-game type thing?

Your ship is you until the moment you eject, whereupon the shiny new ship at the space station becomes you to keep the continuity, but in the meantime Oolite launches you into a seperate mini-game that starts with you ejecting and ends with you docking with the station or being scooped/killed?
Now over 1000 confirmed kills. Bring on the bad guys!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander Trigg wrote:
Perhaps this could be worked out as a mini-game type thing?

Your ship is you until the moment you eject, whereupon the shiny new ship at the space station becomes you to keep the continuity, but in the meantime Oolite launches you into a seperate mini-game that starts with you ejecting and ends with you docking with the station or being scooped/killed?
Yes, but who's going to write the code... :wink:
Selezen wrote: